Water on your back?

A search didn’t turn up what I was looking for, but I find it hard to believe this hasn’t been discussed in the recent past.

Anybody our there carry a Camelback-type hydration system on his/her back or attached to his/her PFD?

If you do, does this setup hinder your rolling ability or flotation?

Any experiences pro or con would be appreciated.

B.

A couple of versions
I am wearing one again now, which works fine, after trying another which had issues once I was upside down.

The one that didn’t work for me was one that only had anchor points at the top, on each shoulder of the PFD. Fine until you are upside down with the thing fully loaded hanging upside down from behind your neck and weighing you down, at which point it really gets in the way of rolling or sculling. I might be able to get up with that kind of handicap now, but at the time there was no way.

The kind that I wear now, which I don’t even notice when rolling or sculling, is a smaller unit that has four anchor points to the back of the PFD - both shoulders and both sides at the bottom. I forget what brand it is, but it is made so that it is quite easy to leave the outer case on the PFD long term and just pull the plastic bladder in and out to refill and clean it.

I use a GAIA, www.gaia.com
and it’s not what messes up my roll. It has four straps that wrap around the PFD and I usually route two of them thru the PFDs strap keepers and I had my wife sew velcro at the top. It came with a Y-harness for hiking and can carry 2 - 40 oz bladders for water/sports drink, freeze one, or just carry one.

SYOR

Randy

My two standard comments
1. Why carry something when you have a boat to carry it?

2. 1 liter PFD size is useless in S Florida.

These factors rule them out for me.

For some reason…
I’m with the Grey-ster. (Hopefully, he senses my kiddingness.) Something on my back in the form of a liter and a half compromises my buoyancy. Don’t want it. If you do, try it out-in all kinds of water, air temps and so forth. It’s not the Devil’s anchor for many, but for some, maybe. Experiment, try it out, if you don’t like it, turn it into an under deck hydration thing by glassing or gluing in loops under the front deck and running the tube under your skirt and cockpit rim. Otherwise, keep a pint and a half in the bladder and put a 20 ounce bottle of water behind your zipper of the PFD, in front of your chest, and drink from that while you can, the other, while you can’t.

Augustus Dogmaticus

MMVI

I use one all of the time.
I carry a 50 oz Camelbaka that has shoulder straps. I used electrical tie wraps to aattach the straps to my PFD.

This way it doesn’t move when I’m upside down. No difference in buoyancy or rolling.

I drink a lot more by wearing this than I did when I carried water bottles.

I use a Lotus EFT pack
mounted on a Kokatat MsTour - 4 point mount system.

Ditched the supplied bag/tube and installed a 70oz Camelback bladder. Fits nicely when filled with 64 ounces. Still room in the pack for spare items and emergency gear.

No issues with rescue/rolling/balance.

Secondary water is from a 100oz bladder mounted on my rear bulkhead behind the seat. Open the skirt, cool off a bit, stretch a leg, and have a drink.

Also carry an MSR filter as many of my paddles are in remote areas where rescue is not easily available and radio contact is spotty.

Pleasant waters to ya.

Holmes

I have a Lotus EFT
on one PFD and a Camelback on the other.The Camelback is less bulky and more streamlined but neither interfere with rolling or skulling.

It may even help lower the CG when doing laybacks.

Any engineers have thoughts on this?

To me that’s the only way to carry drinking water in rough seas,a bottle on the deck bungies won’t last long and sometimes you just can’t take your hands off the paddle long enough to drink from a bottle.

Bert

Unbottle
I use the Camelback Unbottle and stick it on the rear deck just behind me. The tube comes around the side of me and sits in my lap.

Before I used the rear deck, I had the thing stuffed behind my seat inside the cockpit and had the tube running up through the tunnel of my sprayskirt…which was fine until I tried to hop out of the boat quickly while landing in the surf. I forgot about getting the tube out of the tunnel and got caught. I got bashed by 3 or 4 good waves before I could get free. Note to Self:…In the future.

Water accessibility
Some water on my back works the same in a a kayak as does the Camelback for biking - I sip water more reliably when I don’t have to retrieve and open a bottle, and/or get into the day hatch to boot. I tend to run a smidge dry on the paddle anyway - will tend to load up like crazy on water up to an hour before and then again after a paddle (or bike ride) rather than rely on having to do a lot of intake during. (I have a practical reason for that.)

All these posts deal with hydration pack

– Last Updated: Jan-25-06 7:43 AM EST –

Water bottles for Ocean Kayaking (Archived)
Has anyone found a good way to attach a water bottle so it can be reached easily but fastened securely enough that it does no Topic Started By: Seadart
Responses: 20
Last Response: 8:53 PM Aug-12-02
Cleaning Camelbacks (Archived)
Does anyone know how to effectively (and easily) clean Camelback bladders & tubing? Topic Started By: pambrowning
Responses: 16
Last Response: 10:46 PM Jun-04-03
Hydration (Archived)
Apologies if this thread has been beaten to death before, but I can't seem to find anything in the archives. Anyway, what ty Topic Started By: jmella
Responses: 7
Last Response: 7:13 AM Jan-13-04
H2O filter/purifier/tablets (Archived)
Tell me the where/what/best/why/what for Talking about 6 to 10 day trip, cannot pack water, what is needed for drinking, Topic Started By: wesd
Responses: 14
Last Response: 7:07 PM Feb-10-04
Answering the Call of Nature.......... (Archived)
Okay, not trying to talk about inappropriate subjects but I have to ask this question. I drink a lot of water when I paddl Topic Started By: bowler1
Responses: 25
Last Response: 6:31 PM Nov-05-04
Kayak lights/need advice.... (Archived)
I have been looking at the tek-lite stern light...called the maufacturer to find out how the aluminum one can be mounted on k Topic Started By: patty
Responses: 35
Last Response: 2:57 PM Oct-17-05
cup or bottle holders for kayaks (Archived)
Have an Old Town Loon111 and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how they solved the problem of this kayak having no c Topic Started By: kayakersue
Responses: 6
Last Response: 9:12 PM Nov-30-01
Hydration Systems (Archived)
Right now I use a bicycle type water bottle, but I'm looking for ways to drink (water) without removing hands from paddle. H Topic Started By: rkc
Responses: 9
Last Response: 3:38 PM Jan-24-02
kayaking and nutrition (Archived)
I was watching a program on television the other day about the different types of food runners and cyclists eat before headi Topic Started By: r874p
Responses: 17
Last Response: 9:04 AM May-18-02
Drinking water (Archived)
when paddling I drink alot of water, usually carrying at least 2 quarts with me and sometimes mor, that is just for a day tri Topic Started By: old_user
Responses: 29
Last Response: 7:30 AM Jul-20-02
Water bottles for Ocean Kayaking (Archived)
Has anyone found a good way to attach a water bottle so it can be reached easily but fastened securely enough that it does no Topic Started By: Seadart
Last Response: 8:53 PM Aug-12-02
Minicell foot braces - cockpit fillers (Archived)
OK, I'm pretty much convinced that having a large comfortable surface to rest my feet on is going to be far superior to littl Topic Started By: greyak
Responses: 40
Last Response: 1:12 PM Dec-16-03
water storage/kayak/day hatch (Archived)
Just one of those facts of life questions,,if the best place for carrying water is right behind the aft bulkhead,,and you hav Topic Started By: LeeG
Responses: 13
Last Response: 11:18 AM Nov-20-02
PFD-attached hydration system (Archived)
Anyone tried the "BigDrop" hydration pack that attaches to your PFD, made by Ultimate Direction? I've tried the Lotus pack an Topic Started By: robl
Responses: 4
Last Response: 6:50 PM Dec-23-02
Cleaning Camelbacks (Archived)
Does anyone know how to effectively (and easily) clean Camelback bladders & tubing? Topic Started By: pambrowning
Responses: 16
Last Response: 10:46 PM Jun-04-03
Hydration in kayaks (Archived)
What are most of you folks doing for hydration in your kayaks? I'd like to be able to drink while paddling, without having t Topic Started By: architectx
Responses: 32
Last Response: 7:54 PM May-18-04
Kayak camping frustration (Archived)
I'm a frequent canoe camper about to go on my first kayak camping overnighter with my Montauk 16 footer. Having assembled my Topic Started By: nadlerje
Responses: 24
Last Response: 8:30 PM Aug-27-03
Race Day Preparation (Archived)
I know this is a broad question, but really looking for the perspective of experienced kayak racers on getting ready for your Topic Started By: lrebensdorf
Responses: 8
Last Response: 8:13 AM Jan-25-04
I am thinking of buying a QCCX (Archived)
touring kayak. Does anybody own one and can you give me your opinion about them? They have a deal on right now that I don't t Topic Started By: lindabaron
Responses: 81
Last Response: 7:58 AM Aug-19-03
Bell (Wildfire) questions? (Archived)
Hi: I bought a slightly used Royalex Wildfire this Spring and I love it. Now, I would like to get my ultimate tripping (an Topic Started By: TramperAl
Last Response: 9:11 AM Sep-03-03
PFDs & hydration systems (Archived)
Anyone experience a downside to using a PFD hydration system? I've been using a Platypus system on my Stohlquist Mocean for Topic Started By: Jsaults
Responses: 19
Last Response: 6:58 PM Nov-28-03
day hatches (Archived)
can anyone say why they exist? Honestly for the life of me I can't see a functional reason for them. Why are they mounted Topic Started By: LeeG
Responses: 41
Last Response: 7:02 PM Feb-23-04
Under deck bags (Archived)
I'm about to buy an under deck bag for my VHF and misc stuff. Seems that only two are commonly available: North Waters and Topic Started By: Jsaults
Last Response: 7:48 AM Mar-16-04
wind tolerance (Archived)
We have been having 15+ winds nearly everyday since march...sometimes 20+ with 30mph gusts. It is highly unusual weather for Topic Started By: jim3727
Responses: 44
Last Response: 9:43 AM May-14-04
Which West Side Kayak? (Archived)
I weigh 185 and am 5'8". I presently have a QCC700 and would like to buy a second kayak. I like the QCC but am interested i Topic Started By: dmohr
Responses: 15
Last Response: 8:44 AM Dec-24-04
Assateague Island Trip Report: [Day1] (Archived)
This is my trip report from my June trip (6/26-6/29) paddling the ocean side of Assateague. It's kind of long so I'll be pos Topic Started By: suraniz
Responses: 21
Last Response: 10:20 PM Sep-04-04
canoe packing philosophy (Archived)
I've got a multi-day trip to the Everglades coming up. Over the summer I installed a sliding bucket wenonah seat into my Bell Topic Started By: chad19
Last Response: 5:20 PM Nov-23-04
Navigation question... (Archived)
I've been using a GPS to navigate for the most part, but still like to practice with a map and compass, just for fun and as a Topic Started By: PHIJ
Responses: 11
Last Response: 11:30 AM Apr-02-05
PFD pocket storage (Archived)
I can't find a pfd with suitable pockets. Kokotat's MsFit is ideal with four but doesn't fit me well. Is it a dumb idea to us Topic Started By: castaway
Last Response: 9:41 AM Apr-08-05
Adirondack 90 miler (Archived)
In a moment of madness, I seem to have verbally committed to doing this race with Mark W (SeaWave) this year. Anyone out ther Topic Started By: afolpe
Responses: 28
Last Response: 3:51 PM May-10-05
for touring.how do you set up your boat? (Archived)
this is only for a short jaunt..not a full day or overnight. Just curious about set ups. I have the tempest 170 and typic Topic Started By: brazilbrasil
Responses: 43
Last Response: 5:17 PM Aug-24-05
Water on your back?
A search didn't turn up what I was looking for, but I find it hard to believe this hasn't been discussed in the recent past. Topic Started By: Braumeister
Responses: 9
Last Response: 7:35 AM Jan-25-06
hydration systems (Archived)
does anyone know of a hydration system for kayaks. I would like to attach to rear deck. Getting tired of losing momentum or Topic Started By: philipjmarchese
Responses: 43
Last Response: 8:28 PM Oct-05-05
thru-hull port for hydration tube (Archived)
Anybody here seen a thru-hull port like the one on this boat???? http://www.octopuskayaks.com/images/hmkwpoortapr02.jpg Topic Started By: medicineman
Responses: 38
Last Response: 7:38 PM Dec-06-05
PFDs (Archived)
Hi All, New guy again. I'm just buying gear for sea kayaking, and am looking at the SOSpenders PFD. Check them out at Topic Started By: YakRobR
Last Response: 6:47 PM Jan-02-06
wilderness first aid (Archived)
what do you think is the single most important peice of gear for wilderness first aid? can't say 'your brain' that is an a p Topic Started By: jbv
Responses: 19
Last Response: 5:53 AM Dec-07-05
Kayak Kamper Kwestion....
Ok, sorry about the Daffy Duck intro. Really, I wonder what sleeping bags, or alternates, pack neatly into a touring 'yak. Topic Started By: tjalmy
Responses: 12
Last Response: 10:47 PM Jan-24-06
Texas Paddlers
Don't Texan paddlers ever get together anymore? Seldom (if ever) do I see any posts for kayakers wanting to get together as a Topic Started By: jaimefiesta
Responses: 23
Last Response: 8:09 PM Jan-20-06
camelback vs platypus (Archived)
Kayak race coming up. I have one(1) 1.5 litre platypus, one(1) 100 oz. camelback and one(1) 48 oz. nalgene bottle planned f Topic Started By: deepvoice
Responses: 5
Last Response: 8:05 PM Aug-17-03
Hydration (Archived)
Apologies if this thread has been beaten to death before, but I can't seem to find anything in the archives. Anyway, what ty Topic Started By: jmella
Responses: 7
Last Response: 7:13 AM Jan-13-04

You are welcome for doing your leg work. Go back to the search and type in camelbacks or hydrationpacks...

Paddle easy,

Coffee

70 ounce Un-Bottle
i find 70 ounces ample for an average day trip. the un-bottle has four anchor points (two per side) and fastens securely to any PFD. i like having the hose easily accessible (i attach it to one of the pfd shoulder straps) and can be easily employed with one hand or even no hands if you set up the drinking end carefully.

this, mounted on my PFD, has absolutely no effect on rolling or any other maneuver in my kayak. i carry an extra litre bottle of fluid in a hatch for refilling the un-bottle should 70 ounces prove insufficient.

having the hose right near your mouth, and the ability to access it easily without having to reach for or find the hose or water kept in some other bottle, makes for more fluid intake.

Did a search for Camelback…
…for the last year in this forum and this is what resulted:

Message Board Search Results

Search results from: “Advice, Suggestions and General Help”

No matches found!

Try another search

If you would have read my post, you would have seen that I explained this. But maybe you have some power search ability that is unknown to me.

Thanks to everyone else who chose to respond with helpful information.

B.

lotus eft pack
I also use the lotus eft when i’m doing longer distance paddles. However, it isn’t my preference because I don’t like the extra weight on my back and contrary to what other people have said, it does make rolling a bit more difficult. Granted for standard paddle rolls it makes no difference but if I’m practicing hand rolls, it gets in the way a little. I do admit that I do drink more water with the pack on but because I have a smaller bladder, I prefer just to be sufficiently hydrated before the paddle and then maybe sip on a small waterbottle during the paddle.

No worries…
he may be a bit more familiar with the search engine for this site. I also often get dismal results when looking for something that was discussed previously.

Besides, folks like us give the P.net police something to bitch about!

Holmes

I know what you mean

– Last Updated: Jan-25-06 2:50 PM EST –

I do have a camelback system, but I don't wear it, I put it in my tank well on my SOT. If you get the hose meant for the fannypack ones, it is just long enough. I have the MULE with the 100 oz resevoir. 100 oz is just enough water for a day of paddling in Texas in August.

practical reasons …

– Last Updated: Jan-25-06 2:25 PM EST –

i'd think that would lead to the same "practical" reason as drinking during a paddle? ;-)

ever see that commercial .. "gotta go gotta go gotta go right now" ?

Try this…
Key word: Camelback

Board: Search all forums

When: All Messages

By: Message

That is how I got it… Did the same thing with “hydration pack”

Good luck!

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I’ve been using one for years
I carry 48-64 ounces of fluid on my back when paddling. I don’t even notice that it’s there, except for the convenience it provides. It does not affect on my ability to roll the boat.

It does NOT compromise buoyancy
The fluid in a hydration pack is NEUTRALLY buoyant. It has no effect on your bouyancy when you’re in the water.

Underdeck hydration systems are more of a hassle to set up and use, and if run up the tube up through a spray skirt, they can impede the ability to wet exit your boat.