Water Proof Duct Tape ???

The guy who owned my Jive had taped in the the thigh braces and some outfitting with some red waterproof duct tape, this stuff really holds even in saltwater and I assume it’s something plumbers must use. Unfortunately my local Home Depot has put every building supply store and hardware store out of business. Anybody know what this stuff is and can you buy it online?

I’ll take this one …
Go back to home depot, tell the underpaid guy who doesn’t know anything that you want “colored” duct tape, as there’s no such thing as “waterproof” duct tape since all duct tape is waterproof.

http://www.duct-tape.com/#DUCT_TAPE

Hell, I’ve used it for 15 years to patch the hole in the vinyl liner of my Doughboy pool – just gotta change it every few years as the sunshine will degrades the coating and the adhesive eventually dries out, even under water.

If there were…
… some duct tape that could be applied to a ~wet~ surface, that would be useful. Yes, it’s waterproof, once applied, but won’t stick to anything already wet.

–David.

Gaffers tape
The gaffers tape shown in the Home Depot link is a better product than regular duct tape - its been the choice of photographers for years.

waterproof duct tape
you might try the new tape from the makers of gorilla `glue. saw it in an ace hardware store for $ 9.99 a roll. it looked pretty tough to me.

chris

Water-Activated Pipe-Wrap

– Last Updated: Oct-02-05 8:25 PM EST –

Check out this product awesome perhaps, I have not personally tried it though

http://www.indumar.com/repairsystem.htm

and another one,

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/pipewrap2.html

Water-Activated Pipe-Wrap

OFFERED BY PROGRESSIVE EPOXY POLYMERS, INC.

KEEP ONE OR TWO KITS ON BOARD/AT HOME TO FIX THOSE PLUMBING LEAKS AND/OR REINFORCE THOSE OLD RUBBER HOSES -- A CHEAP QUICK FIX!

Lots of companies sell water activated, polyurethane resin/fiberglass cloth pipe wrap kits. They have become mainstay repair products in industrial setting, among homeowners, and aboard pleasure and commercial craft. These fiberglass tape kits are used to repair plumbing pipes, PVC pipes, rubber and plastic tubing, fiberglass and other metallic piping. Handles temperatures from steam systems to engine mufflers. Resists fuels and hydraulic fluids. Handles pressures up to 600 psi (for higher pressures use our epoxies and fiberglass cloth). Our kits include a fast setting epoxy putty to plug the hole or leak prior to wrapping, as well as gloves to protect your hands. Keep a kit or two around for those sudden emergencies or to simply reinforce or strengthen all sorts of piping and tubing.

We stock two sizes: 2 inch by 60 inch and 4 inch by 30 ft wrap

Order Online - NOW!

WHAT IS YOUR PIPE REPAIR PRODUCT?

The product is a specially formulated fiberglass tape designed to repair water lines, sewer lines, fluid lines, pipelines, and anything else that supports fluids.

WHAT PRESSURES WILL IT HANDLE?

The product has been tested to support up to 300 PSI in pressurized lines and was able to prevent infiltration by maintaining a pure vacuum.

WHAT TYPE OF TOOLS ARE NEEDED TO APPLY IT?

No tools are required when applying the wrap to pipes as long as there is no corrosion, or coatings of any kind on the pipes when applied.

AT WHAT TEMPERATURES WILL IT WORK?

The wrap has been tested in many temperatures ranging from 800 degrees F to -60 degrees F. Because of the need for moisture (water) to start the chemical reaction the degrees of temperature only has bearing on the time frame for the complete curing process to occur.

CAN IT BE USED ON NATURAL GAS PIPES?

The wrap can be used to prevent gas leaks from corrosion of pipes caused from the elements, although anyone working with gas pipes should be certified in that area before attempting any repairs.

ON WHAT OTHER TYPES OF PIPES CAN IT BE USED?

The wrap can be applied to all types of pipes including PVC, cast iron, galvanized, and clay to name a few. The uniqueness of the product lies in its EPA approval for use on drinking water lines as well as being suitable for sewer, irrigation and chemical lines.

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THE SECTION OF PIPE BREAKING AFTER APPLYING THE PRODUCT?

Not only does the product seal leaks in pipes, it also strengthens the vulnerable area of the damaged pipe causing it to be even stronger, in most cases, than it was before.

IS IT A PERMANENT REPAIR?

It can be considered a permanent repair in most industrial and home uses. It can also be used as an emergency fix until a maintenance crew has time to fit the damaged area into their maintenance schedule. Either way, the product enables the home owner, boat owner, or maintenance supervisor to make that decision.

There is …
Duct tape can be applied to a wet surface. It takes awhile, but it can be done. I know, because I did it on my vinyl pool after an errant 2x4 punched a small tear in the liner.

You need to start in one small spot, rubbing it with your hand until all the water is forced from beneath the tape and the warmth of your hand makes the adhesive stickier. As it begins to stick, you need to slowly move out and make the sticky spot bigger, working the entire patch until it is secure. I did this underwater holding my breath for a minute at a time, so I know it can be done as necessity is the mother of invention.

However, I don’t see how it applies to this thread as I would presume the boat in question would be high and dry during the application process.

Oh yeah, one more thing. It probably doesn’t work with cheap duct tape, as you gets what you pay for when buying duct tape.

Thanks
This looks kind of interesting but not the same.

Better for what?
Gaffers tape is fine for photographers but it is not duct tape. It does not have the stick that duct tape has, it has a matte cloth surface, it has less tear and puncture resistance. The colth surface absorbs and holds water. It is great stuff but I don’t see why I woould use it on my Kayak.