Water temp

with the right equipment!
problem is, there is a proportional relationship between cost and “rightness” of equipment.

And then the other factor of what you first buy, may not be as good as what you discover later on down the road. This is where talking to other paddlers helps.

This can also lead to a surplus of kayaks, paddles, clothes - etc.

Body protection is important, yes, but don’t forget head and hands. Feet are nice too.

I had a lesson on this paddling in a fast cold river on a cold day, that was far above my skill level.

Thankfully the people I was paddling with loaned me a neoprene helmet liner and an extra pair of neoprene socks. After I went swimming, someone even produced another layer of polypro for me.

Still, I discovered that the neoprene gloves I had were barely suitable in the wind and no one using pogies had the same issues. Yeah, its harder to hold and use your paddle effectively when your hands are stiff with the cold.

A good formula someone told me about is the water temp plus air temp formula. Under 120 - layer up.

I’m sure I sweat more than you do

– Last Updated: Apr-05-09 5:04 PM EST –

in fact I seem to sweat more than most. even in my breathable drysuit--if it's not gor-tex it's gortex like---but what makes me perspire are the rubbler gaskets at the neck and wrists.

120 rule
120 is a good rule, but have to dress for the water temperature. Can be 80 degrees in some parts of the country and still have 40 degree water. That water temp. is a killer.

Everybody is different -Test Yourself
Much good advise given above. Especialy the need for immersion gear when away from the shore.

But I don’t know two people who respond to cold water the same way. I know folks who are quite happy in a farmer john and splash jacket when I consider it too cold to paddle in my drysuit.

Your best bet is to wear what ever you are going to wear paddling and go for a quick swim in a controlled environment. I like a beach with a warm car and hot drinks handy as well as dry clothes to change into.

Pay attention to the water temp and your response to it. See how long you want to stay in and what it does to your co ordination. That will tell you if your gear is OK or not for you.

Finally be honest with yourself about how far from shore is safe without immersion gear. I find it awfully easy to get “just a little farther out”.

On small streams that’s usualy not a problem. On lakes it can be.

Tommy

as a total FYI
we were paddling alocal lake and I saw Harry dragging a line.

I mentioned this to him thinking he could recover whatever gear he had lost and he pulled a small thermometer from the water.

It was the kind hikers carry on their jacket zipper and he was dragging it from a thin line to see the water temp.

I thought it was a good idea.