Waterproof charts

My waterproof chart has started to rip on the folds, is there a good way to fix so I still fold and read it? Thanks in advance. And yes, I always rinse and lay open until dry. It just got mistreated by someone.

My try a layer or two of some clear
vinyl tape on the seams. Just a thought. R

map seal ?
http://www.campmor.com/Product___21549

just take it to
Office Max or similar and have them relaminate it.

They do wear out.
Lamination will result in an unfoldable map. Map Seal might work the best.

I just buy a new waterproof chart every five years or so. Sand has a way of abrading the print off.

Yes I rinse and dry with map flat but I use the darn thing three weeks a year.

Laminate it in pieces
if it is too large as one piece.

Folds are generally not good for maps.

curious as to cost of laminating a chart
They usually are 25 x 38 and new cost about $25. 7 years ago it was $2 a square foot.

a few calls
would answer your question. Ever since Office Max, Office Depot etc started to offer lamination the pricing got very competitive.

Laminating charts in sections is one strategy Freya used in her circumnav of Australia.

I have a friend w. a print shop who does lamination. I go thru him, my costs are low :wink:

Just curious.
We don’t have Office Max or etc in my part of the land. Staples is an hour drive each way… Was just wondering what those who did laminations paid.

More expensive to laminate

– Last Updated: Sep-15-14 1:21 PM EST –

I printed what NOAA calls a booklet chart a few years ago and laminated each sheet at Kinko's. They had a DIY laminator. There were 10 sheets, slightly larger than the 11"x17" paper size when laminated.

I think the cost of printing and laminating ran over $40. In other words, it cost more than just buying an entire waterproof chart off the shelf. I wouldn't do it again unless I only wanted a few sheets laminated.

The main advantage would be that you could get an online chart that might be from a more recent update, vs. a published in-stock chart in a store. In my case, the online booklet chart was indeed more recent than the off-the-shelf chart I compared with.

OR maybe you want a large-scale chart (the booklet chart series is scaled for kayakers and others traveling relatively small areas in a day).

But other than those cases, I'd stick with buying already-waterproof charts. One of the things I remember from the process was painstaking trimming of the paper sheets so that, when laminated, I could overlap the clear margins of the laminate and simulate a larger chart.

Also, if you do choose to laminate, make sure that the shop uses the heavy-duty laminate. Kinko's had mistakenly ordered a lightweight version and partway through I had to start using that when the good stuff ran out. It was so flimsy I double-layered a few sheets, which is where part of the cost came from. But even without that, it still would've been cheaper to buy a ready-made waterproof chart.

thanks… thats the sort of information I

– Last Updated: Sep-15-14 1:50 PM EST –

was looking for

Laminating is in my future. We have charts for the Ontario side of Lake Superior.

Those charts are only available in paper. Heavy duty will-sop-up- water paper.

costs
went up…at Walmart but here’s a bargain via Google shopper

http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/FEL5221501/14Q1/?gclid=CKOwrta35MACFUMF7Aod824AhQ

try running charts thru a large area copier.

Just a thought …
a couple years ago I bought a desktop laminator for just under $100. I will take up to restaurant menu size lamination sheets - basically 13" wide sheets, and will handle 3-7 mil plastic. Works great. I have laminated numerous charts from piecing booklet charts together using Photoshop, to more recently clipping the area I am interested in from NOAA’s PDF charts. Plus I have laminated numerous other documents for on water use. It has easily paid for itself over the last couple of years.

Clear packing tape
Clear packing tape works pretty well.

I had one of my charts crack on a few of the folds after only a couple years of use and the manufacturer kindly replaced it.

I’ve used clear packing tape also
Works well if lamination is not an option