waterproof glove questions

I am looking for a waterproof glove for cold weather/water paddling. With so many to choose from i was hoping to narrow it down with p.netters recommendations.I want something really flexible so self rescues and opening day hatches won’t be to difficult. Also i wear a woman’s large glove or men’s small, just in case that you know of any brand that runs really big or really small.Thanks in advance.

We like our Glacier Gloves
We bought 2 styles (one with all black palm and the other with blue grips) prefer the blue grips. The styles look to have changed but probably similar in quality. They keep us dry and warm.

Waddaproof…
Dry gloves - Nordic Blue

Great neoopreene glove - Glacier Glove

FE

Glacier Gloves
But get a few spare polypro or silk liners. If you’re working hard, hands sweat and saturates the liners. It’s not uncomfortable but could cause coldness if the liner if not changed.

That’s been my experience.

Glacier Gloves x 3
They’re the only truly waterproof gloves I’ve ever used!

Here’s my review:

http://www.aquadynology.com/Product_Review_Glacier_Gloves.html

Delphinus

waterproof gloves
When the air and water start to get cold, I use chemical gloves. They’re cheap, about $5, thin, so they don’t make the paddle grip feel big, and the cuffs tuck up into the outer cuff of the drysuit. Hands stay dry unless you roll or dip your hands WAY deep. When it gets too cold for them, I’m ready for the neoprene mittens: NRS Toaster Mitts.

I use two types of gloves …

– Last Updated: Oct-06-10 10:08 PM EST –

...... one is the Glacier glove , the other is a Red Head glove .

Always have both with me when on the water . They are completely different types of glove . The Red Heads glove itself will eventually get wet in pouring rains , but the "Gortex" liner will keep your hand dry ... even the wet Red Head retains great insulation value .

The Glacier glove is well built and tough (as neoprene gloves go) ... mine haven't torn or been damaged yet . They do a good job of keeping hands warm when it's cold and wet outside . for putting hands directly in the water , the Glacier may be the better choice .

I like to put my gloves on and off quickly for fishing reasons ... the Glacier glove is a PITA to takeoff and put back on once it gets wet (damp) inside ... neoprene gloves get damp inside , that dampness warms up (traps heat) and helps to keep your hand warm , that's the neoprene thing .

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/brands/men-red-head/gloves-and-mittens

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_fishing.php

More + on the Glacier Gloves
And when it gets really cold…NRS Heater Mitts.

dishwashing gloves
work surprisingly well.

believe it or not

Paul

ps: get the pink or lime green ones

waterproof gloves , wow …

– Last Updated: Oct-07-10 8:37 AM EST –

...... http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/brands/men/arcteryx-gloves-and-mittens/1278177591183

Wow , the price ... a wetsuit seems inexpensive by comparison !!!

Was just looking around and came across these ... I couldn't believe the MSRP .

I can see that these gloves have some mighty fine features and probably do exactly what they claim ... but is it possible that they could do it with such perfection and advantage by that many times greater to warrant such a price ??

Deep See Comfort Dry Glove
I’ve been very happy with my Deep See Comfort Dry Gloves. We bought ours from a local dive shop. We’ve found dive shops are great places for paddlers, especially for cold weather gear.

http://www.diveprodivegear.com/m8_view_item.html?m8:item=54504

Arc’teryx
I’ve never found anything branded Arc’teryx to be reasonably priced. YMMV

There’s a mindset among glove-makers…

– Last Updated: Oct-07-10 11:08 AM EST –

... that the only people who need cold-weather gloves are kayakers. I looked at a whole bunch of cold-weather gloves at the last Canoecopia and didn't like how "grippy" they were on the paddle shaft. A few different salesmen told me that this stickiness of grip is ideal for paddling, but when I explained what a problem that is when paddling a canoe, at least one of those guys admitted that they really don't consider canoers to be part of their target market. The LAST thing I want in a canoeing glove is a fabric that won't "let go" to allow the paddle shaft to rotate in my hand. I ended up buying a pair of paddling mittens that might be okay for rowing, but I use the word "might" because so far I've had no luck at all with neoprene keeping my hands warm (I've always had severe problems keeping my hands warm).

glacier gloves
since I use a Greenland paddle my hands are always wet and now that it’s getting colder it’s time to dig out my dry suit and my old glacier gloves. They’re very waterproof and warm, but the outer rubberized coating does get scuffed and lets water leak in to the neoprene. A dab of Aqua-seal fixes that - although my gloves are starting to get covered in dabs. I might try using some full arm length chemical gloves sitting in my garage with knit gloves underneath…

Glacier gloves care
The 3m Glacier gloves are nice.

I read: Be sure to watch for wear spots and put Aquaseal on them or they will wear thruogh.

It works well to help those gloves last longer.

the new Glacier glove
claims to have solved that wear issue. i too can vouch for a quality rubber glove (a la dishes…) with a liner underneath, but they have their issues as well, nothing is perfect…

five days
is how long my Glacier Gloves lasted before they wore through in 3 places. Got apologies by email and the suggestion that this was unusual. I will try another pair if Campmor will exchange them. I wouldn’t buy another pair unless they prove to last longer.

Lyn

short wide hands
My hands are l wide but s length. As a result everything I have tried is either too tight across the hand or extends well beyond my fingers. Anybody else in this “boat” and if so have you found a good solution?

Add pogies
Given where you live, you may find that the Glacier gloves don’t cut it when the wind comes up towards the end of the afternoon. I’d suggest that you get pogies as well for your climate. They can extend the warm time of a glove enough to likely cover you for any weather surprise.

Glacier makes many models of glove
The one I have used is the one they market as being for ice-climbing. Precurved fingers, thin neoprene insulation with wind-proof outer face (no cloth), and a good range of sizes. Oh, and they don’t feel squishy like most neoprene gloves do, a HUGE plus. About $40 or $45 full retail.

I have long, slender fingers and wear their X-Small. Sounds like you would be either an X-Small or Small.