Waterproof multitasking watch

Does anyone use a waterproof watch? Just a watch or does your watch have added features like temperature gauge, barometer etc? TIA

I have a waterproof Timex watch but rarely use it, preferring to wear my water resistant Apple watch.

2 Likes

Water resistant Timex Expedition. Does a great job of keeping time which is all I need it for. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking! It does have a little window that shows the date but I lost the ability to see that years ago so I don’t even bother with it.

This site has several watches specifically recommended for kayaking and fitness tracking. I was recently gifted a Garmin Forerunner 35 (Now discontinued). It is not specifically designed for kayaking and I use it for hiking. I use a Garmin 76CSx for kayaking. However, I have been very impressed by the Forerunners accuracy and abilities even for an early version. Collects downloadable tracks, distance, elevation, time, distance, speed, heart rate, calories burned, and probably more things than I’ll ever learn (like most of my electronic gadgets). Tracks can be converted into files that can be used by Google Earth and most other mapping programs. Tracks in their native form when used with the Gamin Connect AP are pretty detailed. The AP works with MACs, PCs, Android and iPhones. I’m still in the learning phase but much is intuitive. Waterproof to 150’. I would be willing to bet that the current models are impressive indeed.

If you want just a waterproof (more accurately water resistant) watch, there are many available online or places like Dicks or REI from well know brands like Casio and Timex starting at around $30. A rating of one atmosphere is about 33 feet.

For a watch on the water I have a 1972 Rolex Submariner. It cost $176 back then. I should have bought a case of them as they now cost around $9K new and much more for vintage ones. It’s rated to 660’ and will keep running for at least a day or two when I go to Davey Jones Locker.

A really great smartwatch for kayaking is the Amazfit Bip. It has an always-on display that gets easier to read in bright sunlight, GPS, is waterproof and has amazing battery life. Oh, and it is sub-$75.

I wear my Oris Pro Pilot for almost everything. On a nato strap, its quite comfortable and I don’t have to worry about losing it from a spring bar failure

When I retired, so did my watches.

Exactly.

1 Like