Waterproof VHF radios in 2' seas and rain?

Ok last week I went out with a group. We got some wave action at times 2’ close to three maybe at times starting to crest leaving some whitecaps. Enough to give you spray in your face at times. Fairly heavy rain at times. This lead to one or more of the radios not being clear enough to understand in 15 -20 mph wind. Seems like mic or speakers got wet. I think mine were ok (Standard Horizons 850 & 851) but some were not. We were wearing the radios not sure of the brands but experienced kayakers. I wanted to investigate further but everyone was loading and leaving.

I will take mine and dunk / spray them tomorrow for a test. Any solutions? I like to keep it on my PFD and not bag it in case I need it fast.
Is there any communications with whistles except blow if in trouble?

Thanks.

If the problem was with the compromised radio’s microphone (as opposed to it’s speaker), I’ve read that this not an uncommon issue if the radio is being splashed, and that the fix is to just blow the water out of the mic hole.

Simple enough I’ll try my two radios today. Thanks.

My VHF has a speaker “purging” function which uses a loud tone to clear the water out of the speaker. I will be surprised if your VHF doesn’t have the same function.

@Allan Olesen said:
My VHF has a speaker “purging” function which uses a loud tone to clear the water out of the speaker. I will be surprised if your VHF doesn’t have the same function.

Ditto here with my ICM-24, but do you find it actually works as well as advertised? I don’t.

Plus, if the problem is with water in/near the microphone then this feature won’t help at all.

If your radio doesn’t have the clearing feature, just blow hard on the speaker to clear the water from it. It will work fine after that.

@Sparky961 said:
Ditto here with my ICM-24, but do you find it actually works as well as advertised? I don’t.

To be honest, I don’t know. I am the only one with a VHF in my club, so I have nobody to talk to…

Thanks