Waterproofing my tent?

So my Hillary is a couple years old now, and I noticed that even the dew comes through both the fly and the tent if I brush against it. Is it time for waterproofing? What does one use on a nylon tent?

Thanks

Glenn

Silicone Water Guard
10.5 oz spray can in the camping section of Walmart,BRIGHT orange cap.

Made bt the folks who make Sno-Seal…(ATSKO)

http://www.atsko.com/index.html

Thanks ST
As usual, I automatically assumed I’d have to go to a camping specialty store. Good ol’ Wally-World.

Not saying…
Not saying that you don’t know what is wrong with your own tent, but is it possible that moisture condensation (not enough venting) is not “part” of the problem?

My Timberline Outfitter 2 man tent is absolutely waterproof, but if I close the vents too tight, condensation gets very thick.

BOB

After a night of driving rain.
I had the inner tent partially unzipped, allowing lots of ventilation from the vestibule. There was no moisture on the inside of the inner tent until I brushed against it, but I’ll take a closer look at that possibility Bob, thanks!

wet inside tent
Lots of tents have venting in the roof or the windows, so that the tent vents into the rainfly. You need to experiment about how much venting you need. This will vary with the number of people in the tent. Two people will release a lot of moisture from their breathing over the course of a night.

wet inside tent
Lots of tents have venting in the roof or the windows, so that the tent vents into the rainfly. You need to experiment about how much venting you need. This will vary with the number of people in the tent. Two people will release a lot of moisture from their breathing over the course of a night.

guy out the rain fly
Make sure there is no contact between the rain fly and tent. If there is, you’ll get water. To waterproof a tent, often you have to sew on more lash-tab points than are provided by the manufacturer. Check out Cliff what’s-his-name’s DVD.

Jacobson?
The Hillary is a weird tent, you put the fly up first then hang the sleeping chamber from toggles inside it. Very cosy, and the tent can’t possibly touch the fly.

Thanks though, and I’ll see what Cliff Jacobson has to say about it.

Cliff J. has some good advice.
I have a few of his books and think highly of most of his opinions. But placing the ground cloth/ footprint/ plastic sheet inside the tent? Ridiculous. Oh yeah, ventilation is good, seam sealer is good and tents do wear out. Just ask thebob how long I fooled around with my really old Timberline before I gave up.

Fly only
Camp-Dry or other waterproofing spray applied correctly to the outside of the fly of your erected tent. While the tent is up look for spots that the fly does not cover as they are to be waterproofed as well. when dry, don’t dismantle it yet. Roll it over and spray the bottom as well. Be warned , this stuff is hard on human lungs, so be careful. It also takes some time to dry and degas (quit stinking) so don’t expect to do it the night before using the tent. You do not want to spray the breathable portions of a double walled tent as that would inhibit the transfer of water vapor out of the tent body to the underside of the fly.

Could never get my brain around that
…putting the groundsheet inside the tent. I’d be afraid that even after all these years, my old Scout leader would appear from behind a tree and cuff me upside the head.

Use a tarp
Get a tarp over your tent and work area.