waxing kayak

Hello

Newbie here

I have just puchased an older fiberglass kayak

Are waxes or polishes availible to protect the hull?

Would an automotive polish work just as well

thanks for your time

yep
any boat/car/fiberglass buffing compound/restorer/polish/wax will work.

a electric polisher is cooool.

what boat??

steve

waxing kayak
libra xt

taking my kid camping

kayak waxing
yeah pretty much anything will work, but turtle protective wax seems to last the longest of anything I’ve tryed. Also if you use a very low grit buffing compound you can get a lot of the sratches out of the boat’s finish, but you’ll need and electric polisher to really get the benefit of the compound. The good news is that they’re not reall expensive.

polish
For the hell of it i once tried chrome polish and it works wonders on old gelcoat.

3M boat polish/ wax
I bought an older fiberglass sea kayak that had a little oxidation on the gelcoat and some minor scratches on it. I polished it with this stuff and it looked like brand new!

You can buy it at West Marine or Boaters World. Our Walmart has a boating section and they have it too.

Best thing I have found is…
The best thing I have found is a marine polish, that has UV protectants & Teflon in it.

It is “Strarbright Marine Polish with Teflon”. I have read where ordinary waxes can actually cause drag in the water, but Polishes do not. This polish with Teflon, gets so slippery, the boat is almost too slippery to handle after several coats. Plus the Teflon keeps grime from the water from sticking to the hull. After a paddle, the “water scum” just wipes off easliy.

The polish cleaner in it is a chemical cleaner, not abrasive. It does a great job of removing oxidized Gelcoat, without scratching the good gelcoat. It is even good on plastic & plexiglass.

Since this is specifically designed as a “Marine” product, it works very well on a composite kayak. I have been using it for at least 3 years now, and love it!

Read the reviews I and others have written on it here on P-Net.

Good Stuff!

If it removes the oxidised gel coat
Then it is either by abrasion or chemical reaction. If the latter then that could destroy the integrity of the gel coat with repeated use.

renapur
http://www.seapaddler.co.uk/Polish.htm

Another vote for Starbright
Jim

Starbrite is designed for Gelcoat
The Starbrite I described above is a marine polish that is designed for Fiberglass Gelcoat.

It removes Oxidation without hurting anything.

It really is good stuff!

Try it, Read the back of the plastic bottle.

Trying is believing.

waxing kayaks
For my plastic rotomolded kayak and plastic canoe I find pledge works well. Turtle wax just gets hung up in the little scrapes they get.

Last year I bought a 1976 fiberglass sailboat, the size of a sunfish. I compounded it, deck and hull in one evening and turtle waxed it the next. All without a buffer. All summer I had admirers. it looked like new.

waxing kayaks
For my plastic rotomolded kayak and plastic canoe I find pledge works well. Turtle wax just gets hung up in the little scrapes they get.

Last year I bought a 1976 fiberglass sailboat, the size of a sunfish. I compounded it, deck and hull in one evening and turtle waxed it the next. All without a buffer. All summer I had admirers. it looked like new.

And another vote for Starbrite.
It was recommended to me by a fiberglass and gelcoat repair guy at a local boat repair shop after he re-gelcoated the hull on my previous boat.

I’ve been using it ever since on all my boats.