Ways to sell something

Have one easy question,how does everyone go

about selling a canoe.I always read reviews,topics

where people sell there canoes,kayaks and have tried this site and a couple others with no

responce.The price is even 300-400 below cost.Is

it that they sell to people they know?,or are they basically giving the things away just to move them…

Classifieds Is For This.
post your boat and the asking price. Whether it sells or not is a question of what the seller wants to get back and what the buyer is willing to pay for a boat.

The best boat deal I got was here with a surf boat at almost a little over 30% of retail. I couldn’t believe nobody else snatched it up. that person wanted to sell and sell quick since he was going to be landbound in a relocation.

Then I see very common, everyday boats with asking prices close to retail and these sometimes sell eventually, sometimes with the seller getting a little more realistic about their asking price.

Who knows what’s going to happen at any given time…, except to say right now, springtime, is probably the best time for a seller to get his price.

sing

So what are you selling? ;^)
You use the example of 300-400 off. This is meaningless as you do not state the cost of the boat new. 300-400 off a $3000 boat is no deal and probably will not sell. 300-400 off a $1000 quality boat is a pretty good deal if it is in good shape and will get lots of attention. I will not even slow down to consider a used boat that is not at least 30% off. I can normally get a new boat near that price.

Happy Paddl’n!

:^)

Mick

Canoes to sell
True mc,300-400 off $1000.00 esquif then.

Maybe it has to do with location,square

stern,color?

As Mick Said…
…many variables. Depends on the “New” price, how popular a model it is/was, how many were/are produced, time of the year, your location, etc. I did have one boat that didn’t sell for a long time because all who e-mailed me wanted it for a “Steal” and I was unwilling to let anyone do that. I eventually got a fair price from someone local who saw it on P.net. If you have a fair price, stick with it. WW

Ebay
I bough a roto-molded sea kayak new at REI on sale and used it for a year. I sold it on Ebay for $50 less than I paid for it --in less than 4 hours.

Is there any way you can put some
scantily-clad women in your ad? That usually helps.

Fees?
What was your fee from E-bay / Paypal?

-Brent

Paddling.net

in Michigan
June or July have been my best months to sell used kayaks. I’ve sold around 5-6 of them.

I have used P-Net
with a great deal of success. well total sucess. One boat stayed on the net for over three weeks then I got two offers for it. The other two I sold in under five days. Currently I send Brent a “commission” thank you for the last couple of boats. I think a lot has to do with the time of year.

I have used P-Net
with a great deal of success. well total sucess. One boat stayed on the net for over three weeks then I got two offers for it. The other two I sold in under five days. Currently I send Brent a “commission” thank you for the last couple of boats. I think a lot has to do with the time of year.

I sold a solo canoe…
from P-net and turned down several offers from people to buy it, because I stated that I would only sell it to an experienced paddler.

If I am selling something, I have no intention of making a healthy profit it off.

I am selling it because I no longer have a need for it.

My guess is even though you are “$300 or $400” below the list price, you are too high.

If you want to sell it lower the price even lower.

Cheers,

JackL

Cheers,

JackL

The right market
If I understand you, you are trying to sell a square sterned canoe?

IMO you might do better at a site geared towards fishing. Square sterns are not the greatest paddling boats so on a site geared to paddling you might have no luck finding a buyer. Fisherfolk OTOH might want to drop a trolling motor on that boat and chase fish.