We may sound elitist to beginners

I totally agree that everyone has the freedom to choose how they want to participate in the forum including pointing out poor behavior of another poster. As you said, where that goes and how people respond is totally up to the individuals.

I think youā€™re making a good choice. Donā€™t worry too much about doing the ā€œunthinkableā€ or being held in disdain; Iā€™ve been paddling for years and Iā€™ve had both of those reactions simply because my experience and preferred paddling doesnā€™t match othersā€™ experience nor preferred paddling.

It is not elitism. This is letting someone grow more organically. If you told them they should not get anywhere near someone elseā€™s foot until they know how to dodge or deflect that fist 100% of the time, then youā€™d be coaching in (what seems to me) a sea kayaking style :wink:

Elitism is simply an attitude where you feel superior to someone and are not ashamed to let it show. Or perhaps people donā€™t even know they are being elitist. It can be subtle (more common) or it can be a more in-your-face style, such as when Aaron Rodgers said ā€œI own you!ā€ to Bears fans in the front row seats after scoring a touchdown this season.

Itā€™s pretty easy to look at Rodgersā€™ record against the Bears and conclude he does ā€œownā€ them. Yet he is still expressing an elitist attitude.

edit: Iā€™m not sure but I may be describing arrogance instead. Perhaps itā€™s just semantics. According to the almighty wikipedia elitism is about seeing oneā€™s self as belonging to a group that has qualities that are above the level of most others. I think thereā€™s a particular attitude that precedes this though, or goes hand in hand.

I was talking about someone taking an introductory classā€¦brand new to the sport. I deleted my comment because I did not take everything you said into consideration. I was also not trying to comment on this elitism subject in any from. I just liked what rstevens15 said.

Yes. That is actually a great analogy. For both advice seeker and advice giver, itā€™s better to be clear as possible about the parameters of the venue. Itā€™s different to paddle a pond than it is to paddle coast, and even more so open waters. The level of skills (and physical conditioning) varies. If someone is and loves paddling inland ponds, there is really no need to talk about rolling immediately, or at all, as much as wearing a pfd and learning self rescue (or being able to swim a bit of distance). Just like there is no need to have a judo or BJJ player/competitor learn how to defend against strike; or a western boxer to defend against muay thai kicks. But, if the venue changes along with the likely challenges, it behooves the competitor to begin training beyond what s/he is comfortable or already a ā€œmasterā€ of.

So, if someone wants to go from a flat inland water paddler to a class iv/v whiewater paddler, or level 5 seakayaker, the skill levels and physical conditioning escalates exponentially. ā€œCombat rolling and bracingā€ becomes needed sooner than later, in addition to already developed self and assisted rescues skills. This is like a kickboxer going into amatuer and then professional (UFC) level competitions. You need to know rudimentary skills across other disciplines as necessary defensive contingencies, in addition to the ones that one may have already mastered in his/her base art, e.g. judo, wrestling, BJJ, boxing, kickboxing. The level of conditioning needed also drastically changes from the amateur to the pro levels, going from 3x3(minute) rounds to 5x5(minute) rounds. Success and survival depend on honing needed/deficient skills quicker than later.

So, for me, I think of paddling advice (taken and given) is most helpful and relevant when the person asking is as specific and honest as possible about what the paddling venues and goals are, and what level of skills and physical conditioning is. This minimizes miscommunications and misunderstandings.

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ Youā€™ll still have ā€œjacka$$esā€ on both sides of the question. But, once you peg what type that other person is , you can just disengage and ignore him/her because it is waste of time otherwise.

sing

2 Likes

With full disclosure, some of the longer term PNetters may remember me totally losing it with one former forum participant years ago. This guy was ā€œfat shamingā€ people and really saying abnoxious, arrogant and aggressive things. That triggered me. When I learned that he lived in southern NH and worked in Beantown, I trolled that SOB non-stop in whatever thread he participated in. I tried to get him show up in person at a combat sport gym in MA or NH. I REALLY wanted him to prove (or eat) his crap talk.

In retrospect, I was so taken out of my mental game. I let an a-hole take over my enjoyment of this forum. Other long time forum members were not happy with me either and let me know privately.

sing (the repentent)

3 Likes

WORD!

Totally freaking honest and awesome! I love you Man!

2 Likes

Since you brought up martial arts, Iā€™d like someone do this with paddlers; itā€™s hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZNrPPK4CI

1 Like

100% agree! But there are some serious sea kayak snobs out there, thatā€™s for sure.

Thank you!

OMFG! That is awesome! Take me now!

My life is complete!

1 Like

I like Sensei Seth. He makes some wry observations. He is also a BIG dude who is surprisingly agile. As important, you should see his videos where he takes up a year of training in Muay Thai kickboxing. He pushed himself, tested his karate skills/understanding against hardcore competitive full contact kickboxers, and in the process expanded his sparring/fighting skills and his ability to coach others with more comprehensive curriculum.

Itā€™s not necessary or the path for everyone. But, some enjoy the process of pushing and developing to the next levels. It entails the true ā€œbeginnerā€™s mindā€ ā€“ always learning. For these types, it offers a path of focus, insight and joy.

sing

3 Likes

A humble, always learning attitude is a great way to get through life.

Sensei Seth and his buddy Hard to Hurt have some good stuff, and display a humility and practicality to everything Iā€™ve seen.