Weather maps no longer show fronts or areas of H or L pressure

I used to make my own forecasts based largely on those plus local observations.

Why are the front lines no longer displayed? Storm used to have them; Storm Radar does not.

I don’t care if it is a website or an app, but what happened to this kind of informative display?

OK, I just found Intellicast has them, YAY!

I hear ya. I have a devil of a time finding good metorological data that isnt dumbed down for the masses. I took meteorology in college so a stupid freaking icon with a cloud half covering the sun doesn’t do it for me. Just searching for a frontal map on weather.com before I take a trip takes far longer than it should. They keep moving them and hiding the more useful info deeper and deeper.

How about the sun icon, partly obscured by a cloud with rain (and snow) … and yes, lightning coming from the bottom? Accompanied by something that appears cartoonishly windy.

Seems that’s more common than it should be.

Most of the time I use Windy.com, and that gives me enough information to work with for the next 2-3 days. After that it’s whatever Fate deals me.

Intellicast had a fabulous weather app but it was sold to another company which changed it into “Storm.” I’ve kept the Intellicast app on my iPad as the radar still works and I can change the layers, but as soon as I update my iOS, it will be gone.

I did find another iOS app quite similar to the original Intellicast: WeatherMate. It’s radar is good and offers layers to choose from, including fronts.

Weather forecaster…a job where you can be right 50% of the time and still get a paycheck. I primarily use two apps: MyRadar and Weather Underground for day to day stuff. If things are getting serious, I break out the WSI aviation weather app which gives me satellite, radar, fronts, lightning strikes, etc. all in the same display. Cool app but wonkier to use.

Thanks, Rookie. WeatherMate sounds promising, from your description.

Qajaqman, not having frontal graphics shown is like relying on idiot lights instead of instrument gauges in a car. You nailed it by calling it “dumbed down.”

One thing I loved about Intellicast was the option to choose around six layers on the radar. WeatherMate has similar options, but doesn’t show them all at the same time.

Windy.com has a ton of great weather maps, much better than the actual weather websites IMO.

You have to click the “expand” carrot, scroll to the bottom, and select “Pressure” under the “display Isolines” menu

Is that what you’re looking for? Windy also has almost every other map you could want from wind, rain, snow, wind at any altitude, pollution, currents, seat temp, clouds…you name it, Windy’s got it.

That is pretty awesome! After failing to find it on my Windy iPhone app, I went to my laptop and did find all those cool layers. Do you know if I am correct that those features are not available on the mobile version?

Not sure about the app. I only look on my PC :frowning:

My guess is, look for the Expand carrot or some menu that you can select which layers to view.

@Monkeyhead said:
That is pretty awesome! After failing to find it on my Windy iPhone app, I went to my laptop and did find all those cool layers. Do you know if I am correct that those features are not available on the mobile version?

They are available in the mobile version.

@Rookie said:
One thing I loved about Intellicast was the option to choose around six layers on the radar. WeatherMate has similar options, but doesn’t show them all at the same time.

What device and OS do you use with WeatherMate? I downloaded the app and it has not worked for me even once. Acts really weird. I use an iPad running 11.2.2.

Worse, even after deleting the app (I hope), when I check individual settings when I turn on Location Finder, an icon appears for “Weather”. It looks identical to the WeatherMate icon but is labeled “Weather.”

AND now when I access email and a few other functions, the upper left corner flashes “WeatherMate” very briefly before reverting to “iPad” as it should show. Deleting it must not get rid of tracers/trackers/who knows what. I don’t know how to get rid of that.

Here’s a useful site:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/the-demise-of-the-surface-weather-frontal-map/70000589

@pikabike said:

@Rookie said:

What device and OS do you use with WeatherMate? I downloaded the app and it has not worked for me even once. Acts really weird. I use an iPad running 11.2.2.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 12.0.1 and iPad Mini 4, iOS 10.3.3, which I’ll be updating to 12.0.1 this weekend. It works well on both. I’ve got it set to use location services only while using and haven’t had a problem, although initially it did use a lot of battery on the mini because location services were on all the time.

Here’s the link to their website in case the info there may be helpful.

http://www.weathermate.net/

(Duh, forgot to include the link)