Wedging in the seats?

Apologies for what might be a dumb question, but can I just rest a seat into the curve of the hull? I’ll explain…

So I picked up the ole family canoe (about 40 years old, I think it’s made of royalex) and am prepping it for the water again. It needed seats and so I ordered some of the classic stretcher seats but with the nylon weave. I cut the first one, for the stern, and set it in the canoe and rested it in the curve of the hull. I decided to sit in it to check the height. Turns out, it’s exactly the height I want. It’s not denting the hull material at all. So, is there any reason I couldnt just leave it like this? It’s good and sturdy. Just wondering if it’ll tear things up. I could even use a couple angled pieces of wood to distribute the weight. I think I just like the idea of having some flexibility till I figure out what I want the permanent position to be. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

I am certainly not an expert, but not what I would do. Royalex dents fairly easily, I would expect in short time you will have dents and or tears to the vinyl layer of the royalex. If you like the height, measure from the gunwale to the seat and get appropriate length of seat hangers. You can always trim longer hangers down to the size you need. Trim a little off of the seat rails so they are not touching the sides of the canoe. I would mount the seats in the same position as they were previously unless you have a reason to move them.

So what are you going to do on the water when they slip and throw you to the side?

@RLS said:
I am certainly not an expert, but not what I would do. Royalex dents fairly easily, I would expect in short time you will have dents and or tears to the vinyl layer of the royalex. If you like the height, measure from the gunwale to the seat and get appropriate length of seat hangers. You can always trim longer hangers down to the size you need. Trim a little off of the seat rails so they are not touching the sides of the canoe. I would mount the seats in the same position as they were previously unless you have a reason to move them.

Thanks. I think I see some light dents. I’ll hang them then. Challenge is that the seat mount holes go out the sides of the gunwale instead of the top. I hope that doesn’t weaken it side to side

@kier.selinsky@gmail.com said:
Challenge is that the seat mount holes go out the sides of the gunwale instead of the top.

Can you post a picture of your canoe and seats?

No, if you can’t hang them from the gunnels, support them from aluminum angle clips either bolted or rivited to the hull.
You can get lengths of aluminum angle at Lowes or Home depot.

Jack L

@JackL said:
No, if you can’t hang them from the gunnels, support them from aluminum angle clips either bolted or rivited to the hull.
You can get lengths of aluminum angle at Lowes or Home depot.

Jack L

I think that’s the plan I’m gonna roll with. To bolt on traditional brackets from the sides is going to put torsion on the hangers and they probably won’t last long

Make sure the aluminum is at least 1/16" thick. any thing thinner will bend.
I use 1/16" x 1" and have done sliding seats on three different roylex canoes, as well as kevlar, fiberglass and poly boats. I also use the angles to support foot braces
The first hole you drill in the boat hurts the worst. the rest come easy.

The only time I had an angle bend was when we got rammed on the side by a power boat. We were in our ultralight comp cruiser, in a race and the seat and I ended up on the hull floor.

Jack L