Weekend is looking good...

It’s been a rough “spring” this year in SW Ontario, and parts northward. This weekend I plan to spend as much time on the water as is humanly possibly. It’s the first day in a while where the satellite picture hasn’t just been a mess of cloud cover. I expect some fast melting of the late snow and ice over the next week.

Just checked out NOAA’s coastwatch imagery for some close-ups My harbor launch area still filled with ice but I did get a report from the Sturgeon Bay area that there’s open water past the shore ice. Light winds forecast for the weekend but uncertain about the ice situation as I know there can be ice under the water. Other issue is access - we still have huge drifts and snowbanks everywhere. Maybe I’ll go on a road trip tomorrow with gear and boat loaded and hope I hit the jackpot.

Getting in is the easy part. Just toss your boat in (with a rope attached) and jump in the water after it. :wink: Or do like the whitewater guys and seal launch.

Now getting out - that’s the hard part.

@Sparky961 said:

Yup, athough I didn’t have to do a seal launch today. The recent seiche-producing storms on Lake Michigan tossed up not only more sand on the beach, but loads of rocks and mini-boulders. My sand cart worked well going downhill, but getting back up through the deep sand and rocks was a slow trip.

No matter. Sturgeon Bay of Lake Michigan was magical today. The lake and wind gods were benevolent and welcoming. Water very cold (33F) and so crystal clear that at one point it was unsettling. I’m not fond of heights and the water was so flat, I could see the rocks and sand patterns deep below. My first time playing around ice chunks. Pure enchantment.

Very cool (pun or not) indeed! The water clarity through the winter and early spring is one of the things I love best about cold water paddling. You’re absolutely right though, sometimes I’d prefer a little more turbidity to make the surface seem more solid! Where I paddled the coast of Lake Superior this is true to the extreme. It’s almost like flying over mountains in some areas. VERY unsettling.

I was able to get out for a while both days this weekend. Today was by far the best with the water in Georgian Bay looking about as smooth and clear as the picture you posted. No ice to speak of though.

I’ll go out on a limb and speak for everyone here when I say that it’s about time spring came around and STAYED!

I’m going to gamble and have my snow tires taken off tomorrow. Hope I’m not rushing it…

@Rookie said:

@Sparky961 said:

Yup, athough I didn’t have to do a seal launch today. The recent seiche-producing storms on Lake Michigan tossed up not only more sand on the beach, but loads of rocks and mini-boulders. My sand cart worked well going downhill, but getting back up through the deep sand and rocks was a slow trip.

No matter. Sturgeon Bay of Lake Michigan was magical today. The lake and wind gods were benevolent and welcoming. Water very cold (33F) and so crystal clear that at one point it was unsettling. I’m not fond of heights and the water was so flat, I could see the rocks and sand patterns deep below. My first time playing around ice chunks. Pure enchantment.

Beautiful!

Crystal clear water. Oh the torture, the pain. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would love to paddle somewhere like that! It is Beautiful indeed!

Wow - that picture is amazing. Pretty cool (literally and figuratively).

It was pretty magical. Alas, in my excitement to get on the water, I forgot my GoPro. Still kicking myself.

Most cases I go pictures over video anyway. That one is great.

@castoff said:
I would love to paddle somewhere like that! It is Beautiful indeed!

Jocassee is close. I hope to never see ice floating on it.

Y’all have had enough winter. May the only ice, for the next few months, floating on the water be from a spilled drink.