Well, that didn't go as planned

I got back from a paddle and decided to take the 14’ kayak down the sledding hill for yucks. There are occasions on the sledding hill where you have to hit the brakes to avoid going down the boat ramp into the water. I didn’t have a spray skirt - your hint at what went wrong.

The kayak made it to the river no problem, and in fact went down the hill way faster than our sled or toboggan. The bow went under. The foredeck went under. The cockpit went under.

Fortunately our warm house was only a hundred yards away.

3 Likes

Funniest thing I’ve read all week. As I read it, the music from Benny Hill started playing in my mind…

1 Like

Those Eddylines are fast on a downhill run! :grinning:

1 Like

Instead of paddling around with several pounds of sand, try a folding kayak anchor or a Homer bucket that you fill with water to weigh it down?

That is my water - for cooking etc. I just bring some extra for anchorage.

I wonder if one ever breaks in half?

I did that in mid december back in Mass. I paddled on the CT river and had to walk down a muddy bank. I had almost slipped there before so I knew to be careful. I had my surfski on my shoulder and was thinking to myself "be careful, its slipery, find a good rock or root to step o…and at that point I slipped and fell right on my ass. Dropped my ski from head height straight to the ground. put 2 small punctures through the hull and a soft spot. I was angry at myself because i was literally in the middle of thinking “dont slip” when I slipped. oops.