Wenonah Advantage: How fast????

Better motor

– Last Updated: Aug-05-09 3:27 PM EST –

Either the C-1 has a better motor or the C-2 is shorter or poorly designed, horrible skin condition, etc.

In the cases I mentioned above
the C-1’s are way better engines.

Cheers,

jackL

C-2 stock
Jack and Nanci paddle C-2 stock, not C-2 amateur. And both are over 50.

So Jack should say the C-1 racing canoes overtake his C-2 stock canoe. We must allow that when Jack started paddling, the only canoe divisions were BirchBark and Dugout.

Going thru Brown’s tract in a C-1 racing canoe is like driving a superhighway compared to getting a 23’ Minnesota IV thru there in traffic. Best technique for the C-1 is to heel it and paddle like mad on the outside.

Bill

Well…
There has been some good information in this post for various topics.

In my saga boat quest I have decided the following…I have a boat that I am going to trade for the Magic. I still may buy the Advantage and then sell whichever I “prefer less”

However, despite the fact that the Advantage seems like a super fast and fun boat (i did paddle one briefly and it was pretty cool but not long enough to make any real solid conclusions) but the Magic is a lot more versatile it seems.

I like what was said in a couple of responses above that address the topic of speed vs. seaworthiness. One poster stated that I had to decide whether I liked speed better or paddling in the snot.

That was a great point. I really like paddling in the snot. Not sure that I would be happy with a boat that was not completely “snot worthy” I have always enjoyed paddling on windy choppy days as a kayaker (in literally gale force winds as a kayaker). I find I like the same in a canoe…although obviously there is a much lower limit to the winds in which I would paddle a canoe.

Where I paddle it is often windy and there is often a decent current and chop. Those conditions would definitely be better for the Magic, especially in the winter where you really don’t want to swim.

So…I am starting to think that although extreme speed would be a blast, if I can only have one sit and switch boat it might better be the Magic

Matt

No way !
We are both over thirty and fifty years ago gave up the dugout for a ribbed and canvass OT.

cheers,

JackL

I was reviewing some very old post because its been raining for 3 days and all deer stands are in place for the fall. The points that were brought up in this topic were very interesting to me. I am 5’6/145 and am still shopping for a canoe for the Ohio/Miss. I wonder if 13 years later if any opinions have changed on the specific canoes that were mentioned. This topic was very informative to me.

@JackL are you still on here? You are missed.

And I’d say not really. the 16’6" Jensen canoes are hard to beat for a solo stock boat. I had the 1984 Jensen C1 (16’ - 15" bow, 10" stern, massive tumblehome) and its still my favorite solo boat.

My 1987 Crozier J200 is the straightest tracking C1 I’ve ever paddled - I can get 8-12 strokes per side without significant zig zag. But you also have to lean it close to the gunwale to get it to turn at a buoy. Forget about correcting a quartering wind.

Though if I were buying a new C1 the Savage River DIIIx is hard to beat

Not really, for me at least. The Advantage is faster than the Magic.

The Magic is a nicer canoe. :sunglasses:

(The Wenonah model that lines up more with the Magic is the Prism, not the Advantage. I remember having that conversation with a canoe shopper probably about the time this thread was still new.)

Wow. That was my post from many years ago. Always interesting when they pop up again!

So I have owned a few of both models…both the Advantage and the Magic and I really like both boats. Both are similar, but slightly different and which is better for you depends on your needs, application and conditions you will paddle in / use it for.

The Magic is not quite as fast, but is a bit more maneuverable and definitely more sea worth in waves and high winds. I find it to be the more versatile of the two and the better for a tripping canoe.

The Advantage is faster, and straighter tracking. It does note maneuver quite as well but still turns well with a proper heel. It is a better boat for paddling when seated because the tumblehome allows for a more vertical paddle stroke. In bigger waves from the beam it starts to lose stability though (winds over 20 mph and waves in the 2 foot range). However, not everyone paddles in those conditions.

For me the Magic was better at handling loads for tripping, but I am about 195. At your weight the Advantage would do just fine with a load. For me I think I was starting to push the limits of the boat and the resulting optimal waterline and I feel speed and efficiency suffered when loaded.

So it really depends on your use. If you may kneel and want something more stable, sea worthy, better at tripping and more versatile, then the Magic is better.

If you are okay with a less stable boat and want to go straight and fast and paddle mostly seated…the Advantage.

Also the Magic is available in Black Gold if you need a durable layup.

matt

1 Like

Interesting to read your comments matt. I just sold my Magic and it was my second. I found a used 2020 Advantage last year that I’m enjoying very much but I have other solos for rough conditions. I paddle upstream on the St Joseph river and in March there were several times when 20+ mph wind and 4-5 mph current had me headed home early in the Advantage. Both Magic and Advantage are fine boats. But for a 145 pound paddler on big rivers like the Ohio/Miss I’d think something like a Northstar Trillium or Firebird would be better but between Magic and Advantage the Magic is definitely better for rivers.

Used my Advantage today then waxed it for 1st time.

1 Like