Wenonah Advantage vs. Voyager???

Wondering if anyone can give me some feedback about how these two boats compare.

I don’t have the opportunity to paddle the two side by side right now so want to gather some initial thoughts.

I have a general idea how I think they will compare.

I paddle open water a lot with a good amount of wind, and sometimes some very choppy conditions. I imagine that the Voyager would be more sea worthy in these conditions, but have heard that it can a bear in the wind so any advantage in sea worthiness may be cancelled out by difficulty in handling.

Basically I would like speed and tracking but not at a huge expense of wind performance and seaworthiness. So how do they compare in terms of speed, stability/seaworthiness, and wind performance?

I weigh 200 pounds which may be a bit of a factor as I have heard the Advantage is really for lighter paddlers but I may still be in the range for it. I paddle mostly with the boat empty but would like to make an occasional trip in it, but I travel pretty light.

thanks

Matt

The Voyager is a great tracking,
fast boat that will scare the hell out of you the first time you hit chop. I have yet the be tossed though .And it is a bitch in a crosswind.Into the wind,you would think it had wings and downwind isn’t bad.

That less than positive attribute can really be tamed by either adding a cover , which makes a MAJOR difference, or by putting a 50 lb dog(load) behind you.

I have a friend(Harry H.) who may chime in who has an Advantage. He has paddled it on expeditions from the swamps af Louisiana to the Boundary Waters. Harry is a big guy,so it doesn’t appear your weight is an issue.

If I were to do it again,I would go with the Advantage.

Paddled both at 260 lbs
My experience with 260 lbs in an Advantage in moderate winds was this boat was equally as fast as a Voyager, it wasn’t as affected by wind, but it sliced way more deeply into the waves. I calmer waters for no gear cruising, I think an Advantage might even be more fun to paddle than my Voyager. However in 10" waves my load would cause the Advantage to slice deeply to within 2" of going over the bow. A 200 lb load in an Advantage would definitely be within the boats performance range, and I assume the bow would ride much higher on waves, but someone else will have to provide info on how it does in waves with 200 lbs. The Voyager will handle waves well, but I think you will find a 200 lb load in a Voyager very subject to being blown around in wind. However you could add a spray screen fore and aft or carry 50 lbs of ballast to cut the winds affect in a Voyager.

Wind performance.
I’m 5’6, 155 lbs.

The Advantage works MUCH better for me in the wind. I’ve owned one since last fall.

I owned a Voyager for about two weeks a couple years ago. With my load, the Voyager was pure hell in strong side winds - I got blown straight sideways. Even in mild winds, it wasn’t much fun.

I still get blown around some in the Advantage, but not nearly as bad as in the Voyager.

worthless $.01+

– Last Updated: Aug-03-09 12:10 PM EST –

..My worthless $.01+,
Had the Advantage in ultralight layup. If I were to get one again it would be in the heavier kevlar flex-core layup..but I think the boat would still be a little quick(=light-touch) for "all-terrain"-paddling...but that's just me. If in same situation I think I'd look at the flex-core(NOT Ultralight!)Voyager and seal up the top-cavity as much as would be needed...

$.01

I have had both for years
and have posted my opinions on how they compare many times.

200 lbs is no problem whatsoever for an Advantage.

If you get a Voyager, I would suggest a good cover for it. I made my own which worked well, and put a Cooke cover on it this season and wish I had added it years ago.

The Voyager is indeed a faster canoe and I choose it for days where I plan longer paddles.

IMO the Advantage is a better choice for day paddling hands down, where the Voyager is a much better expedition canoe. You will only really see what it’s all about when you load it up for a multi day trip.

Why only these two boats?
I know it might be difficult to find, but I own a GRB Classic XL which would fit what you describe very well. It doesn’t have the capacity of a Wenonah Voyager (which I also own), and doesn’t have the freeboard, but it is better in the wind and just as stable.

Another boat that I’ve heard good things about (never paddled) that fits this category is a Savage River Otegan which is made in Maryland, so you should be able to test paddle.

Magic…
Sounds like the Voyager is too loose in the wind for my preference.

Another option is the Magic. I had one for a while and liked it but really wanted something just a little faster that would allow more un-corrected strokes on one side before switchign.

I am new to sit and switch. With the Magic I could get about 5.0 - 5.5 mph crusing speed and get about 4 hits on one side before switching.

Would the Advantage be much faster than this / allow more strokes before switching? AGain, that is with no correction.

My boat decisions are based soley on available used boats which are a lot cheaper.

Matt

I weigh 220
And I think the Advantage is much faster than the Voyageur empty. The rear end of the Voyageur is awfully loose and really stinks when running with the wind. It needs a load back there to settle it down. I, being pretty fit, can cruise above 6mph in an Advantage while I can only do that in some conditions in a Voyageur.

In a following sea, the Advantage can take waves over the stern. Get a good cover and you’ll have no problem in any conditions. Consensus seems to be, if you want fast and sea worthy, cover it.

prism
string, i have a prism, not an advantage. prism is a good and stable open water tripping boat. tracks well and not overly affected by wind. -h

my experience
I owned a glass Advantage for a # of yrs & loved it. My 1st dedicated solo. I later paddled a Kevlar ultra lite Advantage down the lower Missinaibi in late Aug low water to James Bay w/ camping gear. Loaded it was stable & seaworthy enough to handle the raps & still travel fast & efficiently.

I now own a carbon Voyager. Can’t imagine a trip long enough to need the capacity edge it has over the Advantage. It behaves well in the wind for me but is obviously more wind-effected than the Adv. Even empty it’s rock solid in the choppiest condtions. When leaned it turns very well for a long straight keeled hull. Being longer, top end speed should be greater than Adv. but for your criteria Adv should be better choice IMO

this is what is a little confusing…

– Last Updated: Aug-04-09 8:17 AM EST –

>....allow more strokes before switching? AGain, that is with no correction.

EDIT:..Maybe not "confusing"..but in a normal recreational, day-to-day-paddle setting why not simply use a little mini-correction in your normal forward stroke...when needed?

Advantage Advantage
I think the Advantage is clearly the better choice if paddling without a load or with a light load. The Voyageur does have some tendency to lock onto a beam wind and when it does so, it can make a lot of leeway especially when empty.

The Advantage can be used for light tripping but has limited space for packs.

I don’t know which canoe has the higher potential speed, but for me the Advantage seems quicker. If you heel the Advantage a little after getting it up to speed and get it carving a little you can paddle more strokes on a side before switching.