Wenonah Agrosy, Rendezvous, or Wildernes

no sales tax in NH NM

Get Input from the source
Schank,

Put your choices to your Wenonah connection. Be specific about your size and the water you intend to paddle. Do not ask which one will be best, but how suitable each of the canoes would be for your size, skill, and the streams you will be paddling. If your “connection” has known your family and values his relationship with your father; he will not want to make a boat suggestion that will put you in harm’s way. So if he says none of the three will be good for you; you then have clearance to pursue anotheer make and model of WW canoe.

Wenonah did make several WW specific solos models back a number of years ago. They produced two versions of a Frankie Hubbard design called the EDGE. Perhaps your Wenonah “connection” will have knowledge of these models and if any are laying around the factory or if the molds are still serviceable.

Bill

"The Bob"
What are you talking about?

Talking about canoe choices…

– Last Updated: May-04-10 8:12 PM EST –

I have some doubt in my mind that one of the possible choices suggested for you......a Millbrook AC/DC (the AC/DC is a model of canoe made by Millbrook Canoes), which is 16 feet 5 inches in length is suitable for your intent & purpose. Especially as your stated weight is 130 lbs.

I wouldn't try paddling class III solo in a 16 foot 5 inch canoe, and I've paddled class III, am 6 foot 4, and weigh 200 lbs.

You might have $1,400.00 to spend on a canoe, but most high school students I know don't have that type of discretionary cash readily available.

That is what I was talking about.

BOB

No tax…

– Last Updated: May-04-10 8:23 PM EST –

That's great; he wouldn't have to pay tax.
Save some bucks there.

So, now all he'd have to do is come up with $1,400.00 for a Millbrook AC/DC, and then figure out how to get it from New Hampshire to southern Wisconsin. Unless there is someone who handles Millbrook canoes in the vicinity. Are there a lot of shops in southern Wisconsin who handle Millbrook canoes? If not, then I suppose we're talking shipping charges? Equal to or more than sales tax? Or drive to New Hampshire from Wisconsin to pick it up?

And what is a 130 pound paddler going to do on class III with a 16 foot 5 inch canoe? That's the real issue kayakmedic. Do you recommend a 16 foot 5 inch canoe to all 130 pounders getting ready for some class III?

Give me a break!

:^)
BOB

Bob, I mentioned the smaller Patriot
which would be fine for his weight, better than a Rendezvous.

lighten up

– Last Updated: May-04-10 8:53 PM EST –

I did not recommend the sixteen. five foot boat.
All I wanted to do was point out the lack of sales tax in NH.

Getting a boat out to Wisconsin is not impossible either. I have gotten boats from Colorado without driving all the way there and also Florida and other of my friends network and transport boats from Florida to the Midwest etc.

Rendezvous…

– Last Updated: May-04-10 9:35 PM EST –

It is my opinion that the Rendezvous would be the "lesser of 3 evils"(Argosy/Wilderness/Rendezvous) for the venue the original poster is talking about.
I can't wrap my head around the "go to" Wenonah concept; even if better suited (for class III) canoes are readily available. Whatever........

Not saying that the Argosy, Wilderness, or Rendezvous are not good canoes. I believe they are.......for their intended purpose.

Not saying Millbrook doesn't make good boats.
Sure they do......
Didn't understand your recommendation for a near 17 foot Millbrook AC/DC came from? Still don't.
How about a Millbrook Rival for a 130 pound paddler???

How many whitewater paddlers do you know who paddle Wenonahs?

After I master my Mohawk Probe 12, Esquif Spark, or Mad River Outrage.........I'm gonna get me a Wenonah!
NOT!

BOB

P.S. "Lots" of "suitable" canoes available on Cboats.net, Pnet ads, and on occasion Wisconsin Craiglist.

Yes, networking …

– Last Updated: May-04-10 9:46 PM EST –

Networking is a good thing.
Helped me, and a lot of people I know with a lot of boats too.

How long have "we" had to establish our network?

Wonder if the high schooler has the same paddler
network?

I fail to see why the OP can't find a suitable boat in Wisconsin, without having to network with someone in New Hampshire, or dig around at some shed out back at the Wenonah factory, for some long lost/forgotten mold for a WW canoe that Wenonah made way back when?

I don't need to lighten up; at my height, even 205 lbs doesn't go a long way.

:^)

BOB

Mohawk 13
Hey Bob, what do you think about he mohawk 13 posted by bzeka on craigslis above? The URL to the craigslist page is above.

XL 13 is a big boat

– Last Updated: May-04-10 10:05 PM EST –

The XL 13 is rather large for you. Having said that, there was a time when that was one of the most popular whitewater OC-1s on the water, and I saw plenty of 130lb (or less) men and women paddling it.

Few would be likely to say that it "tracks well" and it certainly is not "fast". It is very stable and dry, and capable of handling any Class of whitewater.

If you snagged this and the Royalex Sandpiper I pointed out earlier, you would have a good Royalex flatwater boat and a good Royalex whitewater boat for $675 total, which shows you what the possibilities are if you look around for used boats.

I second…

– Last Updated: May-04-10 10:30 PM EST –

I second virtually everything pblanc said.

In my opinion the XL 13 is a good starter boat for a big person. That is not to say that a smaller person can't handle the XL 13, they can, but they will have to work at it till their skills improve. It is fairly wide & fairly heavy; check out spec on Mohawk's website.
It is not a hard tracker by any means, but due to it's lack of rocker when compared to some of the smaller, more heavily rockered Mohawk Probes etc, it is "not that bad" on the straights.
It can most certainly handle class II & III with little problem. It is not a spin on a dime & give you change "playboat", but in capable hands it can hit small eddies, peel out sharply, surf & side surf, and you can do some attainment moves with it.
As the paddler's skills improve; it is easier to handle, and requires less effort/muscle. At that point in skills attainment; the paddler often starts looking for a smaller, more heavily rockered, and lighter boat.
Another good thing about an XL 13 for a smaller paddler........there is extra room for gear if you want to use it for an overnighter, or multi overnighter(if you can travel light). I have found every royalex Mohawk canoe I've ever owned to be "very" durable, and I've owned quite a few over the years.

If you are a "quick learner"........you might be looking for something lighter, and more manueverable, with more rocker, in a year or two. Another "good reason" to try to find a decent used boat. If you get an XL 13 cheap; don't be too quick to let it go. You might regret it later, even if you're skills have taken you on to class IV, or a 10 foot playboat.

With a saddle that is outfitted to be easily removed you can do just that; have the saddle out in minutes. With the saddle out, you can have the same canoe pre rigged so that you can put in a wood/cane or web seat.Then use the XL to haul yourself & a mound of gear down some class 2 rivers.

Check out XL 13 reviews by other paddlers on Pnet.

I have previously owned & paddled an XL 13.
It you would like to see some clearer photos of an XL 13 than you see on that cragilist ad; email me & I'll be happy to send you a few photos. I also have photos of the 2 different models of Mohawk Probes that I paddled. Be glad to send a few of those to you too. Both of the Probes are good "go to" boats after you have the XL mastered.

BOB

The bottom line is…
that a canoe that fits all your requirements simply doesn’t exist. You seem to want something that will do well on Class III but still tracks well enough to use comfortably on flatwater. There is no such boat. Every canoe design is a compromise, but most compromise one venue in order to work well in a completely different one.

In fact, maybe the problem is more the river you like to float. A river that is vastly different at low water than during dam releases. So no canoe will fit it in all its moods.

So…since none of the three canoes you listed are really comfortable in class III, and personally I’d rather be comfortable in the kind of water that can get you in real trouble rather than the kind that is just a PITA if your boat doesn’t fit it–assuming you are going to be doing both kinds–I’d forget the Wenonahs, they just aren’t going to fit the bill, and get a more dedicated whitewater hull. Your only other really safe choice is to stay off the river when it’s likely to be class III.

jump on that XL13
that’s the best advice I can give you - it comes with a cane seat and looks like the saddle also - its already rigged for floatation bags, and all you’d need to make it go would be to buy two bags and a paddle. you’re not gonna find a better deal on a WW boat. You do realize that your gonna have to bag any open boat for those conditions, right ? and at least install knee pads if you don’t go with thigh straps?

I agree that the Rendezvous is the best of the three choices from Wen (I have one in Rx), but I also agree that it is probably too big for you. i’m 150 and 5’9" and I think my Ren is a bit too big for me,though it works. But it didn’t work well enough in big CII or CIII, so I bought a used ww boat.

My suggestion regarding the Rendezvous is for you to get one for a test paddle out on a lake on a real windy day, and see how it handles for you - you’re gonna have wind on that river to deal with also, you know. If you can handle those conditions, it will probably get you down the river if your skills are up to it.

Schank has Dad decided he loves you yet?

Keep up posted :slight_smile:

Bob, I cited the smaller Patriot in my
initial Millbrook suggestion. I could solo an AC/DC in class 3 without difficulty, but the smaller Patriot would be too wet at my weight. At his weight, a Patriot would run pretty dry.

Running ANY open canoe in class 3 and above is largely a function of judgement and boat placement. To the extent that a boat is designed for whitewater, managing placement is easier. Downriver racing boats, whether open or decked, are lousy at maneuvering. The competitor has to take up the slack by knowing the proper lines.

Incidentally, shipping for a Millbrook is typically around $200 east of the Mississippi.

This is the right direction

I agree with what has been said here about Wenonah in general, I own a Wilderness and its NOT a whitewater boat. I have paddled an Argosy and its a great class II boat, but I would not suggest it. The Rendezvous is a bit big for you, but it sounds as if you are athletic and it is the best solution from the models you’ve suggested. I am 6’2" and 250# and the Rendezvous is a great boat for a guy like me on class II-III water.

You could alot worse then a Rendezvous IMHO.

WW canoe
I would like to buy a used WW boat now, but its gotta be in the area.

Cool.

I’m sure you’ll now have additional eyes keeping a lookout for you

Wish…
Wish you luck…go for it!

BOB