Wenonah Canak

I’ve paddled a Sojourn, owned an
Advantage, Whisper and Voyager, but never paddled a Prism because they’re so large and deep compared to my size and have only sat in a Canak. That Voyager was WAY too large for me with no load - even in only mild winds.

I would also expect the Canak to be too large for my motor, so I’d go for the Mini Canak.

Heck, my Ultra Light Bell Magic seems too big for my motor. I don’t seem to cruise any faster in it than my Curtis Lady Bug and the Lady Bug doesn’t tire me out as easily.

My Sawyer Summersong was faster for me than the Sojourn that I paddled the same day and I wouldn’t expect the Canak to be any slower than the Summersong.

The composite boats are stiffer than the Royalex Sojourn, even though it’s stiffer than many other Royalex canoes.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Outfitters
such as Piragis do sell off rental boats every season. I never see them on sale outside of that market. Beachcamper, you and others on this site are pretty familiar with Everglades camping/fishing needs. Call Wenonah and ask about possible rudder installation.

That phone call might be well worth it
for you and Wenonah.

The website says the hull is skin coat no options. If true, they are missing a market.

There really is a need for such a boat in the Everglades. You will have to do some outfitting to attach lines to allow you to stand in it and unload at chickees but that ought to not be a big deal…

The rudder is IMO a great help in tidal currents.

Ever since I’ve got my Monarch, I haven’t looked back. RapidFire is almost as good but because of no rudder is always slower in following seas as you have to devote paddle to control rather than power.

wenonah might not be interested

– Last Updated: Jan-07-16 11:38 AM EST –

in such a small market to retool their boats. Adding a rudder could be done as a custom order but the gel coat is absolutely necessary in the Everglades. Maybe a skin coat deck and gel coat hull? I know nothing about how UV affects skin coat.

One thing for sure, Dave Curtis builds a bombproof boat and it is still going strong after much abuse.

Wenonah
website notes that gel coat can be added to an ultralight. I believe it is a no cost option but it will add 6 lbs to the boat. Check under FAQ on their site. I suppose that the mini canak would then be up to 45lbs. Not an impossible weight if portaging is infrequent.

Canak
I don’t think the Canak is hype. I owned one for a couple of years(traded it to an older, larger friend who needed a stable, easy to enter exit/boat). I liked the hull better than the Prism. It tracks well and turns better than a Prism, stable and generally unaffected by the wind. The hatches/covers are easy to deal with. The only down side is portage options but you can get the Wenonah yoke. And it is faster than a Sojourn for me, 5’10" 200lbs.

UV affect it.

– Last Updated: Jan-07-16 5:48 PM EST –

But you can cover it with a bag or a tarp.

Portaging is not an issue in the Everglades unless you get into tide trouble.. then dragging the sweetie across the mud is known as an Everglades portage.

…"turns better than a Prism"
That’s encouraging. I don’t want hard tracking.

Good question, Bob.
But I haven’t had the Sojourn along side that Canak. I was always tandem in the Malicite at those times. If he brings it out again on this year’s “season opener” event, I should have some idea as the wife and I will both be in solo boats (I in the Sojourn).