Wenonah Help

Anyone know if Wenonah made the prism, or any canoes for that matter, in a Tuf-weave ULTRALIGHT layup? A guy is selling one i’m thinking about buying, and he says it’s Tuf-weave, but I can see Ribs in the photo and it looks yellow to me. Not sand in color like all the flexcore tuf-weave i’ve seen. I can also see the hull gel coat color on the inside between the ribs. Thanks!!

Sounds to me…
Sounds to me like what you may be talking about is a Wenonah Prism in their Kevlar ultra light layup (natural skincoat}.

Weight: approx. 35 lb.

Comes stock with bucket seat, footbrace, and silver/aluminum trim.

I have a photo of one that I owned.

Mine had Kevlar in black letting on it.

Email me; I’ll send the photo to you for a look/see comparison if you want.

BOB

ditto

– Last Updated: Jun-26-06 12:09 PM EST –

My first thoughts was the same as thebob.com's - sounds like a kevlar ultralight.

Here's a photo of a boat that's the kevlar ultralight layup. If it looks like this, that's the layup he has:
http://tinyurl.com/m58sz

I’ve seen one
A guy I know in Southern Pines has an old Wenonah C-1 in Tuffweave. It’s almost a light green and you can see the ribs, just like you described. His isn’t Kevlar, it’s fiberglass. Saw a few like it at the General Clinton Regatta a few years ago. They’re an old discontinued model.

If you contact Bob Adams at ram@nc.rr.com I’m sure he’ll fill you in.

I’ve seen one
A guy I know in Southern Pines has an old Wenonah C-1 in Tuffweave. It’s almost a light green and you can see the ribs, just like you described. His isn’t Kevlar, it’s fiberglass. Saw a few like it at the General Clinton Regatta a few years ago. They’re an old discontinued model.

If you contact Bob Adams at ram@nc.rr.com I’m sure he’ll fill you in.

Probably did
Howdy

If you can get the serial number of the boat, you can give Wenonah a call 507-454-5430 and ask them to look up the information. They should be able to tell you about it all the way down to the weight that it was coming off the production floor.

But failing that, it is very possible that there is a Prism out there in the world in tufweave ultra-light core. Many years ago they offered some boats in a tuf-weave core model, but discontinued it a number of years ago. If it is translucent to clear on most of the hull, it probably is tufweave.

Cheers

Yes they did…
I sold a few in my shop but it has been maybe 10 years or so ago since I remember them being available. And if my feeble memory serves me, you could also get it in a clearcoat/no gel and it was almost translucent. Looked funky, but cool.

Foam core Tuf-Weave
My wife and I own a 16’6" Sundowner that is a Tuf-weave with foam core build that sounds like your description. The entire bottom of the canoe has a foam core that reaches to the bilge-line on each side. In addition, it has foam ribs (5??) to provide some rigidity to the sides. The gel-coat color is easily visible through the areas not covered by the foam; the foam core/ribs have a brown-yellow (OK… sand) color to them. I think this was advertised as Wenonah’s lightest and stiffest build. The other three were (I think): just cross-ribs, a longitudinal rib, and extra-heavy fiberglass layup with no foam reinforcement. Our Sundowner weighs about 55 lbs (with sliding bow seat), and is extremely rigid through the bottom. If this canoe ever oilcans, it will be accompanied by some pretty serious breakage. We stay out of the rock gardens.

Tuf Weave
A friend of mine had an old Advantage in Tuf Weave with foam ribs and clearcoat - instead of the honey brown color of seasoned Kevlar, it had a faint green, almost see through tint to it.

PVC core Tufweave
As posted above it was available in most hulls for a good number of years. There may also be kevlar strips visible along the keel and at the stems. All Tufweave hulls have some kevlar strips, but they may not be visible thru the core and ribs.

It was a good stiff hull at about the same weight as the Kevlar Cross Rib layup and several hundred dollars less expensive.