wenonah vagabond

I bought the Vagabond primarily for fishing and day trips. I am a kayaker so have always used my kayak for extended camping trips in the Everglades and Gulf Islands. But, was wondering if the Vagabond is suitable for a weekend camping trip. Does get sluggish when loaded for fishing with coolers, etc. Anyone used this canoe for camping? It would be a heck of a lot easier than a kayak to load and unload from the backcountry chickees we camp on in the 'glades.

I have used the Sandpiper
which is a foot shorter than the Vagabond. I wish I would have waited a year and bought the Vagabond instead. I have use the Sandpiper on a canoe camping trip, but it was a lightweight trip, ie no coolers, minimal gear including fishing gear. It was fine.

If you’re taking big coolers, and big tackle boxes, along with camping gear, you’re probably going to push the Vagabond to its limits.

wenonah vagabond
Forgot to mention I am a minimalist when it comes to camping from my kayak and for backpacking. No coolers, etc. but unfortunately, we do have to carry a gallon of fresh water per day as there are no fresh water sources in the Everglades. So this will add significant weight therefore my only using it for a weekend type camp trip.

I added the day trip observation with coolers and gear as my only experience with weight in this boat. When you went on your trip Ken, did you try to carry the weight towards the middle of the canoe?

Hey Dick, Help This Guy
…friend Dick (rhow on the board) has one and seemed to paddle well on the WI River trip with it last year. I’ve only paddled it empty, but cannot imagine it being a problem for short trips. Shoot, I’ve heard of people taking a little OT Pack into the BWCAW, and the Vagabond is a larger, nicer paddling boat than the Pack. WW

Dayuse only Vagabonder…
…but I wouldn’t hesitate to try it for camping. I really like the boat.

Depends mostly on how big you are
There can be so much variation in weight from one person to another. If you are a lightweight, I’d say no problem. If you are a bigger guy, the fact that you pack light will probably make everything work out fine, but packing heavy might make it a bit sluggish. Still, that’s just an educated guess on my part.

Yes
"When you went on your trip Ken, did you try to carry the weight towards the middle of the canoe?"

Yes, that is always advisable. However, there is not a lot of “middle” to the boat. :slight_smile:

Thanks all
Well, I am a gal not a guy and not very big either so based on your experiences with this boat it probably should work out ok for me. I’ll try a protected Estuary where I can do an overnight trip to. I really am enjoying the solo canoe alot and will probably end up buying one designed for tripping. Did run into David Curtis of Hemlock Canoes while on a trip in the Everglades last month and his canoes might be a brand worth me looking into. He had those loaded for a 9 day trip through Gulf and backcountry and they were really fast and seaworthy.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Vagabond camping
Will you post to let us know how the trip goes?

I have a Vagabond canoe, and I plan to go camping when the weather warms up, but I’ll probably be car camping and have the canoe along for fun.

Tim

I got one last summer
in royalex,I like it

two weekends from now…
I will be taking it on the overnight camping trip. I will post my impressions. However, keep in mind I am an experienced kayaker and just now getting into the solo canoe experience so it will definately be a newbie report.

Works for me.

– Last Updated: Feb-18-04 10:52 PM EST –

I used mine for a trip on the Wisconsin as Terry mentioned earlier,and a six day trip on the Current in October.
I'm 6'and 220lbs. For me it paddled better with a load of camping gear.
I think it's a great boat.
I should also mention I really prefer paddling my Necky Zoar Sport kayak,but it is 20lbs heavier and harder for an old man like me to get in and out of. I have moved the seat in the Vagabond below the hangers and added a footbrace and backrest so it is basically a Kayak that is easy to load and unload,both loading it with gear and putting it on and off the car rack.

Dick

Good Point!
I, too, moved the seat of my Sandpiper below the hangers. Much more stable and comfortable that way.

seat position
might be good if you are 6’. I never thought about that, good idea. Dick and KenE I am 5’-6" wonder if that would make it more difficult to paddle that way. I did order mine with footbraces as there really is no way to kneel in that boat unless you really raise the seat up. Also use a 230 kayak paddle but I am learning to use the straight shaft canoe paddle and do prefer it unless I am fighting a strong headwind. It may be I don’t really yet have the skill level for the canoe paddle yet.

I too love my kayak but sold my sit on top and use this canoe exclusively for day trips. It is so much lighter than a plastic kayak and very easy to load.

Double Blade Paddle
I’m 5’ 8". I lowered the seat because my center of gravity was too high. But you may not have to. It just felt like I was sitting at the same level as the gunnels.

I got the Sandpiper so that I could “kayak” with my kids. It was just too tough for Dad (me) to be sitting on the floor. Getting into a kayak wasn’t too bad, but getting out after even an hour of paddling was too much. My point is that I use a kayak paddle with the Sandpiper perhaps 90% of the time. I use a 240 cm paddle. The Vagabond should work well with a double blade, too.