went to check on Impex Kayaks

and the site is nuked, anyone know what the story is?

Maybe somebody forgot to renew the domain.

works fine

– Last Updated: Oct-25-05 4:44 PM EST –

The site worked fine for me once, then did not. So this suggests a temporary issue with their server.

http://www.impexkayak.com/

didn’t work yesterday
have not tried today

yup
I killed 'em…

;^)

Actually, its been down two days…don’t know why, but the domain issue seems about right.

Hey Danny - did that old 386 server in your home’s utility closet fall off the card table?

Still down…

Net Trouble
I’ve had trouble with several web sites today including google. My guess with all the rain and wind along the east coast the last two days, there may be some big trouble along some of the major backbones or providers. Just a guess.

do they have their new boats up yet???
or are they still coming ashore soon.

along with other kayak manufacturers, I can’t say I’m impressed with Impex’s.

generic info, bad photos, and coming ashore soon for months on end.

Yeah, not a priority

– Last Updated: Oct-26-05 10:29 PM EST –

for them, obviously.

Latest SK mag has an ad for a Force model in it, including a picture.

I saw a couple of these in person over the weekend. They have tried to turn that little snout extension at each end some of their boats have into a virtue by molding finger grip ridges under it for carrying. At least they've done away with the grab handles on top.

I see there's a picture here now too:

http://the-river-connection.com/canoesandkayaks/impexkayaks.html

Mike

Need Pics?
If you need a more detailed pic of a model drop me a line, I have most all of the ones w/Valley hatches on file. Easy enough to shoot you a picture.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

Charter Member ACA Pro-Paddling School

Puddle Jumper no more.
Thanks for the heads up on the foreshortened picture of the Force 5 on the site. Web guru (wife) worked her magic and it seems to be feeling 18’ again.

Thanks and see you on the water,

Marshall

Ever so much better
Thanks for the pictures, looks great. I took that little comment out of my other message, so if you want to purge this thread that’s fine with me.

Mike

So Marshall,
My notes say I paddled a Force 4 at Paddlefest on May 13th. It was 18’ x 20.75". I’m believe (now) it must have been a prototype, but what are the specs (l x w) of the 3, 4 and 5? Or is there only a 3 & 5?

~wetzool

So you were the one…
Were you the one who wouldn’t bring the boat back to the beach? Anyway, originally there was only a Force 3 & Force 4. You paddled, at that time a Force 4, which eventually got renamed a Force 5. The now Force 4 is a lower deck, and just a noodge narrower version of the Force 5. (not putting in width and deck measurements on one cup of coffee).

See you on the water,

Marshall

No, I had to bring it back …
I was paddling and rolling so many different boats that day I kept getting dizzy from the cold water and need to take breaks on land! Thanks for the info. I was getting confused with 3 and 4, and then the 5 showed up in discussions. I liked the boat quite well - whichever one it was!

~wetzool

5 was it.
Yep, you were in a Force 5, which I’m going to take out on the Hudson around the lighthouses in a few minutes. Paperwork in the showroom is Done!

See you on the water,

Marshall Seddon

Charter Member ACA Pro-Paddling School

About the Force boats seat position
As an advocate for Impex quality and thoughtfulness I am hoping that the crew considers making the seat placement a bit more forward in the Force boats. I tested one, and regardless of the size of the paddler, I find that seat placement to be too close to the back of the coaming. When bracing, sculling, and rolling, I found that it limited some moves and could be an issue if pounded by surf and or ledges. I may be using too tough a measure here, but this is billed as an all out expedition boat, so that is what I am envisioning as the bar to get over here. I don’t think they need a longer cockpit necessarily, but a slightly more forward seat could be important. I did hear that the boat I demoed might have had an incorrect seat placement in it, so perhaps this has been considered already.

Seat Measurements
Hey Evan, for the acrobatics you’re describing I though you already had a squirt boat, your OI. :wink:

Not sure which Force you got to paddle. I just went over the 5 and measured, the back of the seat pan is 4.25" forward from the interior of the rear coaming and the backband adjusts as far as 6" of clearance forward from the back coaming. If it is the actual height of the coaming on your torso then the Force 4 will probably be a better bet at a 12" deck height in the front and obviously lower in the back.

As to pounding surf and ledges, sounds more like you’re doing creeking in the Adirondacks. I’ve got a spare Huka that you can use for the weekend if you’re planning on that sort of abuse. Drop me a line as to when pool sessions are happening around your neck of the woods, I’d like to come up sometime.

See you on the water,

Marshall

turns out it was an error in the seat!
Checked with Impex and the demo boat had an incorrect seat position!

So corrction to the above ideas noted here!

I do stand by the generic idea that an expedition boat should seriously consider and build into the design the ability of the paddler to lean back. Not necessarily for acrobatics, simply for those times when one’s water management plans go awry, and dumping surf, leges and rocks cannot be avoided. Ability to lean back, and quick entry and exit can be life savers.

Just my opinion.