"We're Number One"

20 Deadliest Beaches
well, not exactly us (me), living in Jacksonville, a bit north of the Ponce Inlet (New Smyrna Beach).
However, paddle that area often - on one of my 'Around Barrier Island Series’ (abrev, ABIS, pronounced Abyss) trips.

1 Like

While in grad school at UF I got to know George Burgess who was the person in charge of the files for a number of years. He was the teaching assistant for the ichthyology glass at that time. His data supplies the stats this stuff is based on. I think Sebastian Inlet would rank right up there if the area was as popular. It is a bit misleading as those areas where the most people and sharks happen to coincide may prove to have the most bites. Those areas with lots of sharks and few people will be missed but might actually be as dangerous. Inlets are a favorite feeding place for predators. It might be prudent to avoid being in the water on outgoing tides.

Your Barrier Island paddles look very interesting! I have been too much of that area years ago but wasn’t kayaking at that time. Some of those places had little development back then. I have since done several of the SC barrier islands. Bull Island was a fun one I have done twice. I like it because it and Capers Island aren’t developed.

Years ago, I went up to the Charleston kayak symposium (whatever it was called). Spent Saturday at the show, then Saturday night spent at a state park on Hunting Island (noisy all night, not much sleep).
Then, the following day (starting pre-dawn) did a figure 8 paddle around Hunting & Pritchards/Fripp islands.
I remember, starting pre-dawn (dark) - between the 2 islands heading out to sea, having much difficulty threading my way through the low-tide sandbars.

1 Like

Yes, there are lots of sandbars along this coast. A large portion of Bulls Bay can become exposed at low tide. You did an impressive paddle that day. I posted some of the oyster beds behind Hunting Island at low tide in a recent post. I am very fond of paddling the marshes here.

1 Like