Werner Camano vs Werner Cyprus

You’ll probably like the 205 better

– Last Updated: Aug-19-10 1:31 PM EST –

I switched from 215cm to 205cm and immediately knew I preferred the shorter paddle. In your case, it's less of a change but I bet you'll like the 205 better. Also the lighter weight of the Cyprus, which is foam-cored.

I'm just under 5'3". Aside from forward stroke, you'll find that the shorter paddle is easier to use for maneuvering strokes, especially things like bow rudder and hanging draws. Long paddles feel like there is too much shaft to get out of the way.

Still, the diff that really matters is improving your forward stroke. Sometimes even small changes make big differences in level of effort, speed, and how straight the boat tracks (yes, aside from characteristics of the kayak itself). I continue to be surprised at these kinds of things and expect that I will be working on FS a long time before I'm satisfied. In the meantime, I am happy to make small gains, bit by bit.

Don't worry about the length of your Scorpio LV. I have an Explorer LV that is indeed a lot of boat for someone as light as I am--it was bought to cover the full range of paddling, including long camping trips. However, having made some stroke improvements after recent coaching, I am finding that I enjoy paddling this boat much more now. Also, based upon checking my watch, speed has gone up without purposely trying to. The size makes it extra-important to paddle efficiently and effectively, but if you work on that it WILL reward you.

As for your slowness, don't be too hard on yourself. You said you were new to paddling and had taken one lesson so far. Give yourself time and thinking practice! Nothing else in life really works paddling muscles the same way, so let them gradually get stronger.

I know some disagree, but a good instructor's fees are well worth it. What you get (if you listen and *continue to practice*) carries over to all the boats you'll paddle, unlike (for example) buying a "fast boat" to compensate for stroke or fitness problems.

Thanks…
I love the experience and encouragement i find on here.

Just got my Werner Cyprus 205cm…
Woooo baby…i am in LOVE! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY !!! It’s like having the best dance partner in the room! You just know you are going to learn something cool! Don’t know how else to describe it! I have noticed already this paddle will help me in my rotation and popping the paddle out sooner at the hip. It was much harder to do that w/ the Camano. So far only an hour on the water w/ this and a strong wind and currant to boot, can’t wait 'till the weekend. Can’t wait to try rolling w/ it too. Yes, i have to work at breaking my old, bad habits…but it’s part of the learning curve and i am having a blast. Thanks for all your help P.NET’RS!

Cool!
Glad you’re enjoying that new paddle. Don’t get your hopes up too much about whether it makes rolling easier…I haven’t noticed much difference between paddles as far as that goes…but the shorter length and smooth-backed blade make forward stroke and draws feel better.

For rolling…

– Last Updated: Aug-24-10 1:43 PM EST –

You'll just have to really lighten up your grip. If you are more sensitive to the foam core it'll float for you and skim the surface, but the lighter weight means that you can overpower it very easily.

Try keeping the hand in the water somewhat open to let it find its own angle. You really can get away with it.

Sure feels nice though, doesn't it?

What little i have done for rolling, i
have found that no pressure on the paddle is better…or so it seems. Haven’t worked it enough to really assess yet. my paddle partners are either in Maine all the time or out for medical reasons…working on my rolling has been slow this summer.

Keep at it meanwhile
Practice your hip snaps, learn static brace, and other helpful building blocks. You can practice these on your own in shallow water next to shore. Summer is short!

And when your roll is good enough that you usually don’t wet exit, the momentum builds and you’ll enjoy practicing on your own. It is still helpful, though, to have someone else critique you now and then.

exactly what i have been doing…
Yes, summer is way to short.

Ditto what Celia said
Keep your grip light in rolling. Although the Ikelos is my primary, I have a Cyprus and like it too. Using a light grip, it’s like the paddle seeks the surface and positions itself correctly. The smooth contour makes linking stokes easy too. Enjoy.