Werner Cascadia Paddle

Anyone have any experience with this paddle?

I’ve just purchased a British boat (Valley Avocet RM) and would like to buy a moderately-priced crankshaft paddle to use for a while until I get used to the new technique and decide to spend the big bucks on a real nice one.

Because of my Greenland-style heritage, I practice a rather low stroke and the Cascadia seems to fit the bill; are there other paddles you would suggest I look into?

Many thanks,

B.

lendal
have you considered a Lendal Paddle? They have a 4 piece system that is extremely strong. You could buy the blades you can afford now and as you develop your style and taste, you can change blades or buy lighter ones. All the parts work together. Their blade designs are extremly efficient as well. If you have a Brit boat, you should have a Brit paddle!!

Keep using the stick?

– Last Updated: Oct-13-05 12:53 PM EST –

Is there a reason you can't keep using the stick?

It looks like a reasonable low angle paddle. The blade area is less (609 sq cm) than the Camano (650 sq cm). It's slightly heavier than the Camano. One can concider the Camano the "standard" Werner paddle (I think it's the most common) for the purpose of comparisons.

Another difference is that the Cascadia is a dihedral blade (look at the Werner website if you are not clear on what that means). In my opinion, dihedral blades might be noisier and not quite as nice for sculling as a flatter blade.

The biggest advantage of moving up to the "premium" range is the adjustable feathering.

Ignoring differences in preferences, the Werners are well made and light.

what new technique?
First off, congratulations on purchasing an excellent kayak. The Avocet is probably my favorite plastic kayak out there right now. I found that the Avocet works extremely well with a Greenland paddle and I don’t see why you feel that a different paddling technique is needed for that kayak. Could you give us a little more background as to why you are considering switching from a GP to a Euro?

Well…

– Last Updated: Oct-13-05 2:22 PM EST –

Well, there are some who would say that the deck on the (very nice) Avocet is too high for a "proper" greenland stroke.

It would be interesting to know what other boat you are paddling and why you bought the (very nice) Avocet. I'm guessing a SOF.

lol, “proper” is an elitist term… :slight_smile:
I prefer to use a high angle Greenland stroke (which many Greenlanders use as well) as well as a mid angle and low angle. I also use both high and low angle sliding strokes and even use a wing stroke at times with my Greenland paddle. Many Greenland-style paddlers use a low angle paddle stroke but also recognize that there are many different ways to wield that particular paddle.

I see that the original poster is from Michigan so I wonder if they are using a hand on loom, uncanted, low angle style stroke which is popular in that state (preference of Doug VanDoren, Al Anderson, and Betsie Anderson). That is an effective method of paddling although it does not lend itself to a high angle style.

“it ain’t necessaril¥ so” many ways
These are great posts. It is best to avoid folks with dogmatic ideas about all manner of things, espeicially how to forward stroke. GP paddle stroke can be many angles and methods and work for you and your boat.

The Avocet is not especially high, nor must you paddle low. Imitating others is fine, but find YOUR way. Get out a GPS and heart rate monitor. See if you can hold 4 to 5 knots and then vary your stroke till the effort gets less then notice if it is low mid or high an angle, more forward, more compact, etc.

Enjoy it all!