Werner Cyprus vs. Ikelos kayak paddle for a pair of P&H Scorpios

As one has already stated, paddle choice is quite personal and most of us can get used to a variety of them. However, there are certain rule of thumb truisms that only a lot of experience will reveal. I have paddling friends who have all suffered shoulder problems from paddling. A lot of it is probably from improper technique, but I suspect it’s also too much sustained strain. If you are going to paddle any significant distance, the sustained factor is a given. The amount of strain is at least in part attributable to the size of the blade. All things in moderation is not a bad axiom to follow when choosing a paddle. For me–6’-2"–fit and stronger than a 74 year old has a right to be, about 600 sq. cm. blade surface is what works and has proven to be sustainable over many years.

Well I got to demo both paddles during an extended lunch break and was definitely sold on the Cyprus 210 cm for myself. 215 was a bit too long and the 210 ikelos I tried (they didn’t have a 205) wasn’t as efficient and took considerably more effort to use. I’ll order a small shaft 205 Cyprus for my wife since her hands are considerably smaller. Thank you everyone for your insights!

1 Like

I’m glad you found exactly what you wanted.

Your wife will love the small shaft - that paddle is what I have and it is very comfortable. Powers up to a sprint fine if you go to a shorter, more forward catch to increase the cadence.

Add to the fun, get a SeaDog 0.8m Commander Sail for each Scorpio. They’re already pre-rigged for the mounting hardware.

:wink:

Have fun! That’s your homework assignment.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@Marshall said:
Add to the fun, get a SeaDog 0.8m Commander Sail for each Scorpio. They’re already pre-rigged for the mounting hardware.

:wink:

Have fun! That’s your homework assignment.

We’ll have to check those out. For the time being, we are super excited to get on the water with our new scorpios with top end paddles! Amazing how much the corelite X feels like kayaking a composite while being plastic.

Having many years of experience with the CoreLite material I’ve been impressed as to the stiffness and weight reduction of the new formulation. It becomes close kin to the characteristics of a Brit fiberglass layup but at half the price.

Enjoy your new rides!

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Emile640, I’m curious whether you went with the straight shaft, or bent. Then I got to thinking about it and I can’t remember ever using a crank feathered for going to windward. Anybody–how well does that work?

@magooch said:
Then I got to thinking about it and I can’t remember ever using a crank feathered for going to windward. Anybody–how well does that work?

I sometimes feather my paddle when going up against a strong wind. The paddle is a Werner Ikelos with a bent shaft. It does not feel strange in any way that the shaft is bent.

From a lot of comments I have read, I get the impression that people who haven’t paddled with a bent shaft tend to be afraid that the bent shaft will force certain hand positions in certain situation. In my experience, it won’t. I place my hands at whatever distance I want, and when paddling feathered, I let the shaft rotate in the left hand while turning the shaft with my right hand, just as I would with a right hand feathered paddle with a straight shaft.

@Allan Olesen For me and maybe others, that can vary based on the paddle. I have to try them out. I never found the major brand paddles people use for sea kayaking to be fully comfortable in their bent shaft form. Some felt more natural and flexible than others but none as comfy as straight shaft. But my bent shaft H2O whitewater paddle felt right immediately, no break in at all, even with a slight feather built in. Unfortunately I have never been able to figure out the diff by looking at the paddles, so it takes using one to tell.

Never tried crank shaft. Did feel it would restrict me sliding it at times.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Never tried crank shaft. Did feel it would
See, that is what I am talking about.

@Allan Oleson Agree, opinions on paddle designs (or anything else) work better if they are based on trying it out. I did and as above found it to be a variable thing.

Dealer by me just carries straight shafts