Werner ferrule button sticking

Nearly everyone is enthralled with CF look.

Don’t want to spend 500 for a paddle for people to think you have a 40 dollar DICK’S paddle :joy:

2 Likes

Or the other way around … you can pick up this beauty at Dick’s for $25 so everyone will think you’ve got a state-of-the-art $500 paddle.

1 Like

Wrap it in FAKE carbon pattern material. :laughing:

You’ve seen it. Plastic made to look like carbon fiber. Interior car parts,

I do have reflective tape on my paddles for visibility. I would like brighter blades also, but not willing to sacrifice the light weight of my carbon paddles for that! (I’m sure that’s why they say carbon is every paddler’s favorite color)

2 Likes

Gearlab makes coloful carbon GPs. I have a cherry red one with swappable white or black tips. They currently offer a Kalleq breakdown model that is white on one half and red on the other. I oresume a tribute to the Greenland national flag but perhaps having a half white paddle would help visibility on the water?

Also, the guy who used to make Novorca carbon paddles finished them in a spectacular range of colors and design including metallic finishes and rainbow trout skin patterns. A carbon paddle can be coated in any color. Not likely mass marketers will ever bother though,

It might be misguided, but I stopped worrying about reflective paddles when that power boater told me it was hard to see a 14 ft boat sitting a foot above the surface of the water, when an 18 inch log that’s 20 feet long only rises out of the water a few inches. 99.7 square inches of reflective surface won’t improve my odds by much.

On the other hand, a bright or reflective PFD would help once separated from the boat, as would a bright paddle if you held on to it. More justification for wearing a PFD, so you don’t have to decide whether to chase your boat, paddle, or your PFD. Chances of rescue inprove with all three.

I thought that was because of the beer on his belly (a PBR 24-ouncer ?).

1 Like

You remembered. I think it was. That’s why I’m not sure a flashing paddle would change things.

Reminded me of the exchange between Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo. The long story went like this:

I said to my esteemed friend, “That’s probably because you may be drunk my good friend. You most likely are confused by double images of my water craft.”

He replied, “Indeed that is true. But that does not affect my driving ability or my acute vision. I easily compensate by expertly threading my speeding boat between the two visions.”

After that, I decided that rather than a bright paddle, I would be better served to tow an identical boat with a blow up doll in the drivers seat, attached by a 30 ft rope tow behind me. That would give him twice the targets and a 30 ft opening to ease through at speed. Of course, a detatchable rope to ensnare his propulsion.

1 Like

Aqua Bound has a article Kayak Paddles 101 that details the various options for their paddles. Its worth reading.