Werner Ikelos/Corryvecken?

Curious if anyone out there has any impressions on either of these two paddles. both are marketed for a high angle stroke, solid catch, while still allowing for linking strokes. Another in this vein is the Seaward NF paddle. Paddle a wing most of the time, and a Camano others, but the flutter in the Camano after the wing is very noticeable; it feels like a noodle. Interestingly, in some races, merely swinging a wing bumps you up into the unlimited class.

Ikelos paddle by Werner
I have been using the Ikelos for about six months now and am still amazed by how much grip on the water it has and how effeciently it is in rudders, draws and sideslips. I am a professional paddler and have used many different paddles over the years but the Ikelos is by far my favorite.

New paddles
I have used the Nigel Foster paddle and liked it. It has that short fat blade which grips well. Works best with a high angle stroke and feathered, obviously. The thing I liked most about it, and this should apply to the Ikelos too, is the smooth back that results from the foam core construction. Really smooth skulling, draws and rudder strokes without the rib in the back. It should be noted that the Foster Paddle has no dihedral shape to the blade face which takes a little getting used to if you’re only had dihedral blades before. Another reason it moves laterally in the water so well.

Why is the Shuna (supposedly) heavier??
Is your Ikelos, as spec’d on Werners website, close to 26 oz (all-carbon-straight)?

Being a larger paddle than the Shuna, I wonder why they spec the Ikelos at 26oz and the Shuna at 28?

(I have a Kauai (closest match to Shuna) that I bought several years ago - all carbon - 26oz).

If it’s a mistake on their webpage - it’s been there a long time.

Andy

Ikelos & Corryvecken
I think the Ikelos & Corryvecken are very much alike in basic shape. Both are blade length of 49cm and width of 20cm. The difference is that the Ikelos is a foam core paddle and the Corry is not. The foam core allows for virtually no rib on the back of the blade. The foam core of the Ikelos also makes the paddle buoyant. So although the blades are the same size and it looks like almost identical on the face they probably feel different in the water.

The Corry and Shuna replace the Molokai & Kauai for Werner in the high angle department with the Ikelos added. The Corry & Shuna have less dihedral and a flatter back spine than the Molokia and Kauai had. This is supposed to help with the linking strokes. The Ikelos also has very little dihedral.

I think they kept the low angle paddles with the same rib on the non power face and the same dihedral as last year. Oh, the foam core is why the larger Ikelos is lighter than the Shuna.

yeah, what he said
I have a Shuna. the Ikelos & Corryvecken both have rather large blades and I perfer a smaller one.

The foam core of the Ik is quite sweet. I wish they had a foam cored Shuna!

steve

Thanks much for the explanation.
I, too (flatpick), like the smaller sized blade, but, almost equally, interested in the lighter weight.

My favorite paddle is my Lightning (Std Tour. - ultralight, 24oz), but after breaking one in moderate surf, will only use it on “safe” day paddles on the lake.

Andy

so what broke? the shaft, the blade,
the joint? Please, do tell! I own a lightning standard tour, with the standard shaft but carbon blades, love to know what to watch out for.

Sorry to hear about your paddle.

Good paddling to you!

what broke…
>>the joint?

Yes.

with the standard shaft but carbon blades

The one that broke in the surf was an ‘Ultralight Carbon’ (carbon shaft, carbon blades).

(btw, I didn’t blame Lightning for it - I knew I was pressing my luck - I think they even have a warning somewhere on their website against using this particular model in surf)

Sorry to hear about your paddle.

Thanks, but I went through a season (several years ago) where I went through about 4 paddles (1 lost - pulled out of hands, 2 broke at joint, 1 broke at blade) where I was “learning” the surf. (Winter surf in WA is a good “training” ground.)

Good paddling to you!

And you.

Andy

No blame! Absolutely no blame!!!
Heck, I took my Epic full carbon out surfing last fall. I know I should not surf on my lightweight carbon blades from Epic or Lightning. I actually do not own a paddle designed to handle surf forces yet. Might have to tend to that! (No honey, put down that frying pan!.. :wink: )

Thanks for the answers and the well wishes.

Peter K.