Werner neutral bent shaft vs. Lendal MCS

Werner neutral bent shaft vs. Lendal modified crank shaft (MCS). Specifically in the Ikelos vs. Kinetik Touring blades.

I’d like to hear some ideas from folks of the pros/cons of these shafts and blades.

I’ve used the Lendal MCS shafts for a number of years now and appreciate the fact that the shaft is shaped in such a way that you are pulling the blade through the water ahead of the plane of the shaft which seems to result in reduced flutter under acceleration, etc. I picked up a nasty case of tenosynovitis from paddling in my wrist several years ago and would like to think that better attention to proper technique and possibly this shaft have helped my move beyond that injury. I also like the strong ‘catch’ of the Lendal Kinetic Touring blade vs. the Werner Ikelos–it just feels like a more powerful blade to me, but the Lendal also may be much more tiring after 20 miles in the ocean.

ZIt is very hard to ignore the smoothness of linking strokes with the Ikelos and the flotation and reduced weight (I am concerned about the strength of these blades and I know of a couple that have broken and I really crank on my blades on occasion–any testimonies here?) of that foam core blade and shaft is wonderful. I’m not so sure about the neutral bent shaft as it is my understanding that your hand placement is in the same plane as if you had a straight shaft, which seems to me might lead towards more of a chance of flutter, something I want to avoid.

Werner’s intro this year of the flush button ferrule system has taken care of one thing I didn’t care for with the Ikelos as I’ve seen this come apart and float away during rescue practice as the ferrule button was depressed. That won’t happen with Lendal’s Padllock system.

Please let me know what you think about these shafts/blades.

Thank you!

Werner’s new recess button
is certainly secure now.

On my new Shuna the button it totally flush and to separate the two piece paddle you need to depress the button with intention, it won’t just pull apart accidentally.

While I prefer Werner bent shaft over the straight one I found the Ikelos too much surface for touring long distance. I prefer a higher cadence (less surface) that I get out of a Cyprus.

I had an Ikelos straight shaft that just could not get used to and eventually sold it.

As you mentioned tendonitis I had the same problem with a straight shaft (different paddle though, not Werner).

My paddling technique might not be the best but the bent shaft somehow allows me to hold the paddle with much less grip and no flutter.

I have never tried a Lendal and can’t comment on that part.

2c
I paddled extensively with Lendal Kinetics and Werner Ikelos. Have Cyprus as spare. Lendal is MCS, Werners bent

My observations are, obviously, very personal, some will probably disagree. That said:

Lendal MCS feels more stable - that is center of resistance of paddle blade sits behind the grab line, feels more stable. Lendal blade seems to have more bite.

Werner shaft forces to learn proper technique - flutter is quick to tell that your best is not best enough :slight_smile: Werner blade is most excellent for maneuvering strokes, bow/stern rudders/pries/draws, skulling. Seems to shed water a bit.

Both excellent
As stated above the “caster effect” of the Lendal MCS is noticeable, as is the added bite of the Kinetic blade shape. The tradeoff is that it’s less fogiving than the Ikelos, which is very nice all-round.

I think you’d find the Ikelos blade plenty strong provided you dont bash it among rocks. Werner shafts are very strong and well made. Lendal 4 pc. allows great ease of travel.

It’s a matter of you paddling both and listening to yourself and your body.

Reliability

– Last Updated: Nov-17-09 8:27 AM EST –

- Kinetic definitely has better bite and is more stable than Ikelos during power stroking. Kinetic can be used in a wing-style stroke and utilizes lateral movement away from the hull more than Ikelos.
- Ikelos is noticeably lighter.
- Ikelos definitely has an edge in ease of assembly and is much easier to change the blade angle. I've had my Lendal stuck many times--never with Ikelos.
- Kinetic is somewhat more difficult to use for precision control strokes due to its curvature but not something that is too noticeable once you get used to it.

After using Kinetic for over a year, I picked up an Ikelos for a week-long trip. You notice the weight difference immediately! I could also feel the water more intimately with Ikelos. On the first couple of days of the trip I nearly capsized in rough water several times. When using the paddle for braces, the support just was not there in the same way it was with Kinetic. I paddled Ikelos on two day trips prior to the expedition but, apparently, it was not enough. By day three it began to feel 'natural.'

Sadly, the build quality of Lendal's has been terrible of late. For example, a pair of Kinetic blades showed up without core locks or even the holes drilled for them in the ferrule! On the positive, they stand by their warranty and I had several blades and a shaft replaced. I hope that Nigel Dennis returns Lendal to its former rock-solid quality state.