Werner paddle repair

My friend broke his CF Werner paddle at the ferrule right where they join while rolling in a pool. Do they offer repair services. If so what is the cost or any experiences to share on the repairs. thanks

Suggestion
Probably would be best to contact Werner directly.

Yeah

– Last Updated: Jan-11-16 6:46 PM EST –

Talk to Werner directly. They were helpful with repairing my friend's Cyprus when he had an issue with the blade. He had to pay for repairs (about $150 I think) but still cheaper than a new one.

busted

– Last Updated: Jan-11-16 6:53 PM EST –

thanks he is calling I was just wondering. I'll post when he finds out.I am sure they can just matter of cost. new is 399.00 nothing gets done for 100 bucks shaft and labor I guess 200+

Maybe less
If it’s deemed warrantable it’d just be the cost of shipping.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Werner and Lendal Paddle Demo Center

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Get a Lendal
And you won’t have to worry about snapping a paddle in half while rolling.

second this
I had a Camano that snapped when I as teaching a paddlefloat rescue. I called and they had me return it and sent it back fixed. Only cost me shipping to Werner.

light
may be paddles are getting to light!

Lots of stuff is getting too light
Kind of annoying when lightweight comprises durability.

I stopped buying Werner foam core paddles because I kept breaking them. They’re beautiful paddles but I’m a little too heavy handed to own them. I think I broke two before giving up on them and switching to straight up carbon Werners, then switched to Lendal, which are more durable imo and almost as light. Have busted a Lendal at the blade but that was doing something really stupid. Have witnessed someone break a foam core Werner doing an extended paddle roll. My Lendal occasionally creaks but so far it’s been great, the new Lendals made in the USA are really really nice.

broken paddle
I’ve never tried it, but I have heard the Laser Bond glue pen might be an alternative to replacing the paddle?

repair cost
Well my friend called to replace a paddle blade is 150.00 and to replace a shaft/ferrule is 50.00. Not bad.

I did something stupid with my Kalista .
…about 10 years ago and broke the blade. It was just out of warranty but Werner fixed it. It has been fine ever since and I quit doing stupid things with it.

We all fall victim
to the madison avenue marketing campaign that we “need” lighter and lighter and lighter stuff. It cuts across every facet of our culture. It certainly is cool. But, wouldn’t an old fashioned fiberglass paddle - or even good old natural wood growing in our back yards - suffice? For a lot less money?

weight
their paddles are great if you’re paddling at a good clip for a long distance. I always go 8-20+ miles. I have a few Werner foam core CF and one fiberglass one and there is no comparison. He closed a car door on the blade and now it is starting to flex at the crease. The CF paddle is a lot stiff than his Eddyline swift paddle. That may be good and bad for different people.

We should…
…probably all be paddling kayaks made from whalebone frames and sealskins too!

I guess technology marches on and I’m sticking with my Cyprus.

I am surprised

– Last Updated: Jan-13-16 2:55 PM EST –

by some of the responses here. I see someone quotes them as charging $50 to replace a ferrule. Both a friend and I tried to get our Werner paddles shortened by the factory and they said they couldn't do it because we had the micro-adjusting ferrules. They said they would only do it with the old three-position metal spring clip type, which they quit making years ago. Have they changed their policies?

BTW, my friend has a Swift paddle he needed to have shortened and Eddyline was happy to do the job for a reasonable fee. I really can't understand why Werner wouldn't do it.

Probably has to do with…
…their shafts become oval near the ferrule. I shortened a push button shaft but could only cut back to where the oval begins.

Another one bites the dust

– Last Updated: Jan-14-16 6:53 AM EST –

a victim of the 1% madison avenue crowd.

BTW - I'm a victim too. I own and sometimes use a Zaveral graphite canoe paddle.

More than suffice…

I own six paddles, including two carbon Werners… but my favorite is my Grey Owl made from Ontario ash, butternut, basswood, cedar and walnut. It isn’t stupendously heavy like my spruce and walnut Quessy ( 45.6 ounces, but it also suffices just fine ) but it’s substantially heavier than any carbon paddle.

It’s more comfortable, and I’m faster with it. To each, his own.

Also, on the original topic. I have a Werner that was broken in the same spot by the previous owner. Since I bought it from him cheap, I just epoxied it back together and called it good. Another option if Werner wants too much, which they did in my case.