Werner Tybee paddle?

anyone using one of these? didn’t find anything via search or in the Reviews section. willing to try one but would need to decide between 210 vs. 215 cm, the Werner website recommends a 210 for my height & boat width, but I’m used to a 220. the Tybee blades are shorter/wider so maybe 210 makes sense.

Cyprus/Shuna
blades are most comparable.

It is high angle blade.

How tall are you?

I looked at one of those…
but ended up with a Werner Camano instead.

Why? Well the Tybee they had was an old one and didn’t have the same options for feathering it left handed as the Camano.

Still, the shape is supposedly more power-efficient than the Camano (who knows, this is what someone told me). I’d certainly look at the Tybee CF IM as a backup paddle.

oh - about length
I’ve heard from various outfitters, “oh you must have a 210 - anything else you will hurt yourself.”

So I got a 210, a cheap bending branches and it never felt right. And it gathers dust now.

Then, another outfitter, the one that sold me the boat said “oh, you must have a 230 - anything else is a waste.”

So I didn’t go and buy a 230, I bought a 220 - thats what the Werner site said AND this is after I borrowed someone elses 220, which felt right.

high vs low angle
I don’t think it’s as much a matter of efficiency as it is paddling style. The Camano has a blade shaped for a low-angle stroke, and the Tybee has a blade shaped for a high-angle stroke.

The style of stroke you use will affect the length you choose as well. The same paddler with a Camano and a low angle stroke will need a longer paddle than when she uses a Tybee with a high angle stroke.

I’m 5’9"
and my Tsunamis are 23" and 24" wide. but it would be good if I could also use it with my Dagger Approach. (even though the Approach is wider, the 220cm paddle feels a bit long, I guess since that boat pivots easily and the seat might be lower)

if I did the math right, the Werner Tybee (high angle design) in 210cm compared to the Werner Skagit or Cascadia (low angle designs) in 220cm end up having shaft lengths within an inch of each other. I don’t know exactly where one crosses over from low to high but I first learned to paddle in canoes so a higher angle feels good to me.

5 cm on each side…
…isn’t much! If thats the difference between low and high angle.

Hey - I was looking at an “Approach.” I figured I’d need an entirely different paddle for that boat, since my intention was to use it strictly for fun, technical rivers.

So since you have a touring boat as well, I’ll be interested in what you think about the Tybee in both.

4 inches
can make a huge difference in certain physical activities… haha

but the difference is also in the design/shape of the blades. I think the Approach is too wide for a WW paddle so I’m thinking this Tybee paddle in 210cm might do OK for both boats.

depends
Every body is special in some ways - the absolutely best thing to do is try the 210 and 205

During the stroke the paddle blade should be submerged and remain submerged during the body rotation. If paddle shaft is too long and you paddling style is more high angle you might notice that blades get deeper through the swing. Not a big deal, but that makes stroke slightly less efficient - catch and recovery take longer. Some maneuvering strokes will feel quite awkward with paddle longer than optimal - side slips, sculling draw, side draw.

Good all around paddle for the price
They are used in our instructional fleet, which subjects them to some abuse. They have held up well and most folks find them easy to use and very functional.

well I’m gonna need a ww paddle anyway…
cause I came home from roll practice with an RPM : )

sweet
:slight_smile:

have fun with that RPM… the Approach is a pretty big boat and hard to roll, I’m still working on fitting better into it.

Werner Tybee
I’ve used one of these quite a bit. This is a good paddle for the price, if you are fairly fit and use decent technique. The Werner length recommendations are right on, if you input your info accurately.