West epoxy system

A friend gave me about a pint of west epoxy and the hardner to go with it. I was thinking of repairing and coating some old paddles with it. Yet, just today another friend told me that the WEST system epoxy is porous and will get ‘cloudy’ when wet.

Any truth to this?

Also, how do YOU deal with fiberglass itch?

hmmm, have been using West System
for some years now and I have occasionally noticed the “cloudy” effect if submerged in water for long time. I also have noticed that the epoxy will have a different finish depending on the hardener I used.

The slow hardener (#206) seems to give me a less cloudy finish.

I use occasionally the #205 in a hot climate when I want to have a fast cure but air bubbles (cloudy) remain entrapped in the resin.

Bear in mind that ordinary epoxy will degrade if exposed for a long time to the sun (UV).

West System has a special hardener (#207) that would be suitable for finish work on your paddles.

I had excellent results with the 105/207 mix on clear coat carbon/Kevlar hulls.

Aquatic epoxies
I recently came across some helpful epoxy information on the Pygmy Boats website — manufacturer of some very fine wooden kayak kits.

The epoxy system they have for sale on their website and ship with their DIY kayak kits is System Three Epoxy. As seen here http://pygmyboats.com/mall/BuildSupplies.asp . They also have a eBook available on epoxy available here: www.pygmyboats.com/epoxy_book_01.pdf

Pygmy Boats has an epoxy that costs quite a bit more than their System Three Epoxy, it’s also made by System Three but apparently it’s a very high-end marine epoxy. Find more information here: http://www.systemthree.com/p_about_silvertip.asp

I believe that the Silver Tip epoxy is the most crystal clear and durable marine epoxy you can buy.

Good luck!

West System
I used West System epoxy and their 207 hardener to redo the clearcoat on a carbon boat. I’m very happy with the results. 207 gives a clearer finish and there’s no change to its clarity or hardness a year later. The West System website has some good guidance on use if you’re new to epoxy work.

I have a cataract in one eye, so my
judgement is less than perfect, but I have not had a problem with West paddle coating getting cloudy using 205 hardener. However, based on West’s own advice, their 207 hardener is clearly the one to use for coating wood.

Yes, I’m using the #206 slow hardener…
w/ the #105 epoxy. Is it good enough to use in fiberglass canoe repair as long as I paint or gel-coat the exposed area (exterior keel line, chines, etc.)?

Thanks for the input.
I appreciate the responses!

I don’t know about canoes, but…
… I do see folks with a lot more expensive craft using it.

I use it mostly becasue it’s widely available, reliable, and the pumps make it super clean/easy/no brainer.

There may be some better, and certainly some cheaper, but for non-commercial occasional mixed use type users they offer a decent range of options and companion products.

shelf life
the hardener has a shorter shelf life (one year) if it’s kept indoors… it starts to turn red after a while in the can…

the other part epoxy is supposed to have a longer shelf life…

you want a slow hardener for the summer and fast for the winter…

I think they are all about the same. You can also buy small portions. I think I used the systems three last time and it worked well.

Try a test batch.

Make sure you mix them right. If it’s clear and hard you are good to go.

Get a new friend

– Last Updated: Feb-12-09 10:22 AM EST –

Your current one doesn't know what he's talking about.

As long as the epoxy is fully cured, it will be impervious to water, at least for use on paddles and boats that don't sit in the water permanently. One thing to keep in mind is that epoxy will degrade if exposed to UV light, so you you need to varnish over it with a product containing UV inhibitors (any exterior varnish) or paint it. If you don't it will degrade and become cloudy due to sun damage.

Not only will it become cloudy
It will slowly disappear as a film.