West Side Boat Shop Website

EFT bulkheads
Does EFT come with a back hatch and bulkhead?

Yes,
The rear can have an optional hatch, two types available, a screw-in 5 or 6 inch and a large oval type with a hard cover plus a neoprene cover held down by bungies. I haven’t had leakage problems with the hatch. Bulkhead is about 6 to 7 inches behind the coaming edge.

HEX

no one else
After much research, have found no one in the world is trying to make the world’s fastest open water kayak. HIs t-bolt is 21 ft long with a water width of 14 in and the boat weighs 25#.Doug owns the top 2 classes at usca nationals and www.blackburnchallenge.com Very sad that no one in the world would build a boat with the stability of marathon master that is 4 ft longer with a dolphin bow. Then add thigh braces and bulkheads because being rescued is no fun. He is a one man operator building the best boats in the world in a converted barn. But has done tank testing to refine his design. Or maybe he whittles a piece of wood and feels how it moves thru the water. Anyhow, he does build the best.

2005 Blackburn
Dave -

Why not take both your EFT and T-Bolt next year to the race. If you get flat conditions, you might be able to use the T-Bolt. If it’s rougher, just stick with the EFT. By the way, 3:17 is a great time to cover a course of that difficulty, congrats! I think it would be fun to enter the touring class just for kicks. I know I’d come in dead last but who cares as long as I have some fun.

NJP17

Slightly Off Topic
But it’s a segue… For all you East Coasters, in addition to the Blackburn, consider the Lighthouse to Lighthouse Race in Westport, CT. 14 miles on the LI Sound, past three lighthouses, and a wonderfully run venue from start to finish. It’s early Sept., so the water’s warm, and comes with fun luau at the end.

Mark

LOBSTER BOATS
The blackburn race runs thru lobster fields with many pretty bouys and wham you are hit with 6 ft wave from a lobster man who does not like yuppie kayakers messing with his chunk of ocean. Maybe the t-bolt in lighthouse race but am a cautious fellow who does not believe a 21 ft boat with kickup rudder really belongs in big swells. Understern is fabulous but miserable to convert to kickup.

EFT bulkhead
Hi Guy, Have always wanted an EFT, but at this point, I am sick of arguing with Doug about a front bulkhead. Air bags seldom fill the long front cavity, also when you inflate them, they tend to back out to the rear and rub against tiller bar and air bags are hard to inflate with a standard 2ft. long hose going to a bag that is 4ft away.