Wetsuit as Undergarment

Okay, I use a Kokatat dry suit on Superior, etc.

But, how about if I’m paddling a cold RIVER on a cool day and I fall out - would a lightweight Sterns short-sleeve and short-leg lightweight dry suit work well as an undergarment?

I’m talking chilly water (40 degrees - Michigan November or March) with cool temps of say 40-45 degrees F. Just wondering if I put a technical jacket over the top of this dry suit, then wore fast-dry pants (with backup clothing in drybag of course), neoprene sock/boots, etc.

I’m very warm blooded - don’t wear gloves in winter. I keep a small drybag with gloves, hat, firestarters, matches, et al in my boats for winter, but just wondered if the above would work well for an occasional capsize on a river…

Glenn

Wearing a wetsuit under a dry suit…
…sort of defeats the pupose. Wearing lightweight fleece is more comfortable and keeps you dry.

Thanks, but
I’m new to river canoeing, so…

You’re saying that wet fleece will keep you warm with air temperatures in the 40’s?

Or, would one just change clothes and keep paddling?

Thanks, Glenn

DRYsuit
If you have a drysuit that works properly, it is designed to keep any water from seeping in, so rather than wear neoprene under it, wear fleece. The fleece should not get wet unless your suit leaks.

To deal with the issue of perspiring, you should get something that wicks moisture away as your first under layer.

Yeah…

– Last Updated: Oct-08-05 10:41 AM EST –

I don't see any way that wet fleece, or any wet underlayer, can be useful in the 40's. Even under a wind blocking laer. That's based on my experience w/even full drysuits.

The one thing that you can do which will defeat the value of a drysuit, regardless of how warm-blooded you are (lucky you - very convenient in the northern climes) is to get sweated thru and damp underneath it in cold air temps. It sounds like your issue is that you tend to sweat up easily? Then your best bet will be a couple of lighter layers with very good wicking quality , and an ability to change into at least a fresh dry top when you are out there.

One diff I'd have from the other responses - I think that straight polypro wicks longer and more effectively than most fleece and, for you may be a better idea. Personally I wouldn't be out in that without the fuzzy stuff under my suit, but that's me.

wet fleece vs. dry fleece
You’re saying that wet fleece will keep you warm with air temperatures in the 40’s?

under a breathable dry suit, in not too exacting conditions, you’ll have dry rather than wet fleece. if you exert to the point of sweating, yes, the resulting wet fleece will be far more warming and far more comfortable than a wet suit. the fleece fabrics maintain warmth even when wet.

warmth is maintained by the fact that under a dry suit, there’s no evaporative cooling.

NOT the Drysuit on the Outside
Guys, gals, I understand to wear fleece under a drysuit, which is what I do (NO cotton NO).

I’m talking about if a person does not wish to wear a drysuit on a particular day (doesn’t want to tear it - has a buddy along who needs full immersion gear as well, etc.).

Anyway, I was just wondering if a person STARTS with a wetsuit, then wears a neoprene jacket over the top and a fast-drying pants bottom, would this work well for rivers (if one got dumped)?

I’m talking chilly water (40 degrees - Michigan November or March) with cool temps of say 40-45 degrees F. Just wondering if I put a technical jacket (neoprene) over the top of this dry suit, then wore fast-dry pants (with backup clothing in drybag of course), neoprene socks/boots, etc.

I think I get it
Dry and wet are used in a way that is confounding me - I bet I’m not alone hence the off target replies.

I think you are talking about wearing a wetsuit, with what I’d call semi-dry layers over it - separate top and pants. The separates would be either dry or semi-dry, that is either latex or neoprene style closures with a DWR layer that would help block wind.

Your question is about adding some fleece over the wetsuit or under it to handle warmth should you inadverdently end up in the water by surprise and have to make an energency swim. That is, would you be at risk of hypothermia during the remainder of the trip, once you had gotten yourself and the boat sorted out.

Do I have this right? If so, with the air temps you mention and a wind above 5 mph, I’d say you’d need to consider having a full dry outfit to change into. Immediately. As to whether the temps would make it tough for you to handle even the swim and self-rescue part, for most I’d guess it’d add to the problem. But the only way you can tell for sure is to dress as desired, go out and practice it in those conditions.

Yep-
A wetsuit needs to be wet and tight to the skin to work properly. Wearing a jacket over it provides little more than a windbreak once wet. Once you are in the water, whatever you might wear as an insulator will not be sufficient for most in the air & water temps you speak of.

Thanks for the Replies - I Get It, now
"Dry and wet are used in a way that is confounding me - I bet I’m not alone hence the off target replies."

Yeah, I reread my initial post and it sounds like I wanted to wear a wetsuit UNDER a drysuit (NO).

I guess wetsuits are best used for other things than what I had in mind…

Thanks, Glenn

Not exactly
A wetsuit DOES NOT need to be wet in order to work. A dry wetsuit insulates better than a wet wetsuit. The less water a wetsuit lets in, the better. It’s the bubbles trapped in the neoprene that provides the insulation, not the water that leaks in under it.

Interesting…
I have always found a wetsuit to be warmer wet than dry. I assume it is the neoprene holding a thin layer of water against the skin, which the body warms and acts as a barrier between the cold outside water and the warm inside. I’d be interested in some scientific evidence on how it really works.

If the outside water is able to come in around the edges of your wetsuit, it doesn’t fit properly.

It’s been below 50 degrees air and water here the last few days. My wetsuit is put away until next year. I did have a good swim in my drysuit today though. :o)

That thin layer is a conductor, not a
barrier to heat loss. That it is relatively warm is fooling you into thinking that it is insulating. A thin layer of air under the wetsuit insulates much better.