What are good books to read on the trip

So I read the art of racing in the rain last year and it was amazing! Let me know any great reads for the trails!!!

Born to Run
I recommend “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall if you’re into exercise, the outdoors, and a little bit of anthropology. Really fascinating read!

Otherwise, my favorite can’t-put-down book (that I’m currently re-reading) is “Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This is a literature lover’s book. If you love words and books and the mysteries and adventures of books, this is an amazing novel full of layers to digest and stories within stories. Very easy to get lost in. Happy trails!

some of my favorites
These are all readily available in paperback and are compact enough to travel with:

“Sailing Alone Around the World” by Joshua Slocum

“Oranges” by John McPhee (actually, anything by McPhee)

“Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” by Hunter Thompson

All are very different, but are books that I always enjoy re-reading.

Elmore…?

– Last Updated: Jun-17-16 7:20 AM EST –

Get Shorty

http://goo.gl/ryrQF4

for the Tourist Group...read Henry James there.

and McPhee....McPhee is instructive of how to travel

DEEP TROUBLE and MORE DEEP TROUBLE from Sea Kayaker

thought of another
"A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush" by Eric Newby

Sierra Club

– Last Updated: Jun-17-16 6:32 PM EST –

Found the link in Sierra Club online library for: A Sierra Club Guide to (example) The Deserts of The Southwest....

but link pasted goes elsewhere.

try

http://s10067.eos-intl.net/S10067/OPAC/Search/Browse.aspx?txtSearch=L&IndexCode=1&SearchMethod=1

the specific found link goes back to LLBean so use -

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=sierra+club+guide

Amazon does this. Want a No. 5 Widget ? No Amazon ? use Google: Amazon No. 5 Widget.

A has thousands. but that's a secret. For an SF based software system to .....

Maybe they use Tibetan Temple Bells ?

And Perry. Perry is a favorite. I collected Perry then found Perry had referenced me, prob The Man In The Tree. Perry the Security Guard was one of my favorite people here in Fla.

Perry reminds me he is not responsible, an unknown editor is.

The best Sierra are McPhee's equals.

eg http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-sierra-club-guide-to-natural-areas-john-perry/1121641268?ean=9780871567536

Good read
I’d recommend The Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko. Vic from this board put me on to the book down in the Ozarks this spring and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don’t want to spoil it for you but its a story built around Grand Canyon dorymen and the floods of '83.

The Boys in the Boat
A wonderful read about the rough-raised boys of the U of Washington crew team who beat the Ivy Leaguers AND the fuhrer’s boys in the 1936 Olympics.

Same as when not on a trip
I don’t read anything different when I’m on a canoe trip than when I’m not. For the past several years I’ve been on a mystery and thriller fiction jag. On a canoe trip I’d probably not take a really thrilling thriller, because I primarily read to get to sleep.

reading
on a canoe trip is mind boggling, beyond comprehension, terminal time waste, completely misplaced activity … I am speechless.

FOOLS !

A fun and quick read
Check out Distant Fires by Scott Anderson. True story of two 20-something guys who canoed 1700 miles from Duluth to York Factory in Hudson Bay.

Fatal Storm
Race from Sydney each year, the race documented in this book was why they changed the rules to allow only self-righting sailboats to participate.

absolutely need a book!
Unless you are paddling in a desert, there is always the threat of extended rain and being tent bound for extended periods. When I was in Quebec paddling and camping last summer we had continuous monsoon thunderstorms EVERY NIGHT the whole time that would start around 6 PM and not let up until dawn. If I had not had a couple of good reads with me and a good headlamp I would have lost my mind sitting in the tent 12 to 14 hours a day.

I try to select books that have some relevance to the landscape I’ll be in and I find that reading while immersed in an environment similar to that in the story really enhances my appreciation of both the book and the place I’m in. I read Peter Matthiessen’s “Far Tortuga” while in the Caribbean, “Walk in the Hindu Kush” while mountaineering in the Canadian Rockies, “Cadillac Desert” while camping and hiking in the Southern California deserts, “The Swamp” (an excellent political and natural history of the Everglades) while kayaking and camping in south Florida and John McPhee’s “Rising From the Plains” (about the geology of Wyoming) while working for 3 weeks at a field camp in the Tetons.