What are good kayak options for bird/wildlife photography

I’m an expert birder but I’m a beginning kayaker and would like to photograph birds and wildlife from lakes and slow-moving rivers. I’m gleaning advice on what kind of kayak to buy. To have the stability I need it looks like a SOT, fishing kayak would suit me best. I’m 6’3, 245 lbs so I need something to support my size and some camera equipment (think big lense). I also need to be able to transport on top of my SUV (thinking 65 lbs max). Some options I have gravitated toward include Native Watercraft Ultimate FX12, Old Town Next, Eddyline Caribbean 12, Bonafide SS127, Wilderness Tarpon. Right now I’m favoring the Ultimate FX12, but am looking for advice from those who have experience.

Going toward a fishing kayak does seem to make sense. A boat with a rudder, or better yet, pedal power and rudder, may also be good, so you can control the boat while your hands are controlling the camera.

Putting your camera and gear into dry bags or boxes would also be good.

3 Likes

Yes. I’m already counting on dry bags. My perception is that pedal power comes with additional weight, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

All of them.
Learn to paddle silently.

Pedals and or rudder he can control kayak and hold camera although birds react to movement also.

My suggestion would be go with an open canoe, Ether modified tandem to work as a solo or a solo.

I see wildlife photography as putting yourself in position and then waiting similar to hunting. You wont be normally paddling and shooting at the same time is my thoughts.

I modified a cheap tandem canoe removing the bench seats and adding in a central comfortable seat back. My reason was for fishing but I often have a camera with me as things show up. :canoe:

2 Likes

I really like the rudder when doing photography because you can hold the nose exactly where you want it hands free.

I found a used Current Designs GTS ‘01 for 700 usd and I’ve been really happy with the tracking and how
It handles for pictures.

1 Like

@TimeIn much depends on the actual open water and slow moving rivers. Although pedal power is perhaps the best way to control, it could be an issue in shallow water (slow moving rivers are typically not so shallow, but you need to assess your own location). However, pedals (some are removable) will add weight and cost.

I’ve tried to take pictures without a rudder, and its frustrating. The 120 or 125 Pungo is a very stable boat with a great capacity, but I believe it lacks a rudder.

The 125 Tsunami is a very stable and capable kayak. Its 12’ 9" long by 26" wide, 51 lbs, max capacity of 300 lbs (safe load 198*; note: I used mine when I was 255 lbs to cross the open water of the Upper Chesspeake Bay several times; it negotiates tight feeder streams easily and handles well without a rudder, but being rudder ready, it could add control when taking pictures; it has all the features of a full size touring kayak; the seats are comfortable; you can add a spray skirt if necessary, but I never used mine; it’s rotomolded plastic which makes it nearly indestructible.

1 Like

Yes, pedal powered kayaks are often heavier, but it sounds like the weigh concern is mostly in getting it on the roof? The pedal units are normally removed and kept separate during transport, so roof top weight is less than total weight.

i don;t have specific boat recommendations,. You should see what is available in your area to see if you can find something that will work.

1 Like

Here are two examples in case you have not seen them. You might do some more searching and see what other bird photographers use:

Kayak for Bird Photography - Wildlife Photography From a Kayak??? - YouTube

Bird Photography From a Kayak - YouTube

My Kayak Photography Setup and Tips - YouTube

2 Likes

Thank you. I have been to those links, which is why I’ve been leaning toward the Native Ultimate FX12. I might be overthinking it at this point, but was checking here to see if there were other wildlife photographers in this community.

That’s good. And I agree that it is good to check here. I just wanted to make sure you also checked what other photographers, who are going out for photo opps are using.

I would say there are other wildlife photographers in this group, and I would count myself in that category. But I am kayaking, and the photography is a happy extra thing I get to do if it happens. So I use a sea kayak, explore lots of places because they are fun to paddle. If a wildlife photo opp comes up, nice, if not, no worries.

Have fun researching and getting out on the water!

I hope your expensive lens is weather sealed, lol. Wide inflatable kayaks with drop stitch floors (Sea Eagles, Aquaglides) are stable enough to stand up in. They are slow though.

Have you looked at NuCanoe? Frontier 12 would be the most stable boat on the market

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s a little heavier than I would like but worth considering.

There’s a site member named Mzungu that uses his Wenonah Prism canoe for wildlife photography. In the canoe world the Prism is pretty much ideal for you given that it’s strengths are stability and capacity. It’s a popular rental model in the Boundary Waters since it’s friendly even for beginners and can carry a load. Plus it would be roomy and a breeze to cartop. It’s also efficient…easy to paddle with either a canoe or kayak paddle.

A Northstar Northwind Solo Pack would also be perfect since it’s a stable/friendly boat with a regular high canoe seat (in mine you could barely feel my 60 pound dog when she moved) so it would be crazy stable as a pack canoe with the ultra-low seat.

If your total load is under 300 pounds it’s well within the target range for a Prism or NW Solo.

Just food for thought.

2 Likes