What Do You Bring More Than One Of?

I was just making a new bailer out of a nice iced tea jug my wife was recycling, and it got me thinking. I always have a pump with me, but I just feel better with two devices for getting water out of my kayak. So I always have a hand bailer too. I also always have a spare paddle. Anything else that fellow paddlers feel better with more than one of? I’m thinking of day trips but I suppose campers will have a whole different outlook on spare items.

It is best to have 3 boats on a trip.
It is good to have at least 2 dogs.
It is great to have more than one best friend along.

6 Likes

Spare paddle is the one thing I always have. I also carry a pump but no backup device. I generally have a water bottle handy so there’s that in a pinch. I always have two knives, (not just paddling or in the woods).
If I’m camping generally speaking I have a backup cooking stove. I have a twig stove, two or three canister stoves and an MSR dragonfly so I have options that are small. Two ways to start a fire. One being a lighter and another being a magnesium rod.

1 Like

Because I paddle almost exclusively in salt water, even on a day paddle, I always like to have enough water for one overnight. Luckily I’ve never had to use it for it’s intended purpose, but came close once when the weather tried to force me to shore for an unplanned overnight.

1 Like

Definitely a spare paddle. First lesson was on a WW river. In the middle of a rapid, I dug in for a forward stroke and right below the water was a large rock. The force of the strike blew the paddle out of my hands. I had a spare under the air bag webbing and pulled it right out. That saved a dangerous swim. Second an old wood paddle broke while paddling a moderate creek and my spare saved me again. Lessons learned

2 Likes

Two VHF radio and cell phone in dry pak

1 Like

Food. As someone who can suffer from low blood sugar being hungry can ruin my day quickly. I always have extra Clif bars stashed away.

1 Like

Two paddles, two throw bags (one on belt), four carabiners, three pulleys, two eye to eye Prussik cords, one nylon webbing anchor.

2 Likes

I don’t bring this on the water, but I keep an extra pair of cam straps in my car, and an extra couple of the knobs/nuts that hold my kayak carriers to my roof rack.

1 Like

It is not good to have 2 wives.

5 Likes

Paddles. Shoes. 6 packs

two paddles, VHF+cell

Extra paddle, extra lighter (because they sometimes fail), extra rain poncho - because if its unexpectedly needed I feel badly wearing one if someone I’m with lacks one.

2 knives, 2 paddles, 2 compasses - one deck, and one handheld. If I’m away from home waters: 2 sprayskirts (I’ve had to loan one out more than once), 2 towlines, and probably a couple other things I can’t remember at the moment. Used to carry a few other doubles in kayak camping days, but those days have come and gone…

2 paddles
3 sources of fire
more than 2 snacks
knife and multitool
2 quart canteens
rainsuit/change of clothes
2 phones
2caribiners, throw rope, pulley, and 2 or 3 nylon,tubular webbing loops
reading and sun glasses
One large flashlight large, one small, and one headlamp.

BOB

1 Like

The interesting one to me is how many people bring two phones.
I don’t own two! I also tend to try and stay away from the phone on the weekend, and am very often out of cell service before I launch.
I’m not saying it’s not a good thing to have multiple means of communication, just something that I’ve never had and seldom had the ability to have.

I don’t even own a phone. That’s what the VHF radio is for in saltwater.

2 Likes

Two PB&J. One to eat; the other to share.

1 Like

Cheap to add a second phone. I use to have two for business. Always left one in the truck.

I take one phone and two VHF radios. Two knives, strobe, two deck lights, two ACR lights. No big trips here just day trips for adventure and exercise. Two waters, few snacks if it’s a day paddle. Three four hours no snack I have few pounds stored. :laughing:

The main thing I bring more than one of is paddlers. I never paddle alone, especially now that I am getting older. Good luck only gets you so far. Plus, paddling is always better when you can share the experience.

1 Like