What do You keep in your PFD?

Just wondering what others keep in or on there PFD. A while ago I asked about bailout bags and was wondering what you have on you while kayaking.

I carry

1 PLB

2. VHF

3. Whistle

4. two Protein bars

5. Emergency Space Blanket

6. Knife (NRS Co-Pilot)

7. small butane lighter

8. Chap-stick

Y1K
The Yukon 1000 mile race requires the following:

One emergency space bivy sack

Waterproof fire starting kit

$20 in Canadian currency

$20 in US currency

Whistle

Credit card

Knife

signalling mirror

A total of 18 other items are required to be kept onboard, including a SPOT transmitter operating in track mode. There is no way this device would properly operate if stuffed into a PFD. And yes, this issue has been discussed in case of capsize. One of my first actions after a capsize would be, if possible, is to grab the SPOT with its floating carrier from its velcro perch mounted next to me.

http://yukon1000.com/y/rules.php

Not much

– Last Updated: Nov-01-13 4:40 PM EST –

In the summer:
Whistle
Mirror

For cold water:
Whistle
Mirror
space blanket
lighter
+ a large dry bag with everything else. (clothes x2, blanket, fire starter, candy bars)

I dont like much in my pfd. I carry lots of stuff in the boat, but not much on my person.

Whitewater
I carry

Whistle

Knife (NRS Pilot)

Spare noseplugs

Carabiner + sling

Car keys

Camera

Tow tether on rescue vest

Normally …
just my PLB, a whistle, a knife and a small signaling mirror.

I have a underdeck bag that I keep my VHF and other stuff in.

If you want to see some rules, go do a Watertribe event. We had to have so much crap on that I swear we would have sunk like a rock in a capsize.

Jack L

sundries
Knife

Two locking carabiners

Folding hand saw

Nose plugs (rarely used)

Car keys

Cowtail

Whistle

Occasionally 2 prussik loops, two small pulleys, and a webbing loop.

Me checklist…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

FE

Funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

LOL

I did forget on my list nose plugs attached to locking carbineer and usually my under water camera but not always.

PFD Checklist
A pack of cigerettes, a lighter, an old ID in case I have a mishap. Headlamp goes where it belongs when needed and the rest goes in my bucket in front of me. That holds most of what I need. Works for me!

dougd

What is a cowtail?
Never heard the phrasse. I googled it and got either it’s candy or a partially unravelled rope. Or what?

Here ya go

– Last Updated: Nov-01-13 10:03 PM EST –

http://tinyurl.com/kb4nuzq

but wit a lockin' carabiner be recoomended instead o' a non-lockin' one like wat de picture shows.

Attaches ta yer rescue lifevest's quick release harness fer a live-bait rescue.

FE

PFD gear
Whistle

Nose plugs

Knife

Paddle key (Lendal)

Put all the other stuff needed elsewhere, Tkamd

Essentials
Whistle

Driver’s license

Fishing license

Car key

Tobacco for the Creator, the fish and my pipe

Lighter

not much
Boat registration in zip lock (serves as ID)

Whistle

Light weight 2 1/2 inch folding lockback knife on tether

Car key

IN MY PFD…

– Last Updated: Nov-05-13 3:36 PM EST –

Nothing.

In warm water, I have, attached, a whistle and a knife.

In cold weather, I... Wait! We don't do cold down here! If it DOES happen to get below 60, it doesn't matter what's in or on my PFD because it isn't getting wet, because in weather like that, I don't

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

PFD
I’m good with VHF and a whistle. I carry flares and powerbars in the drysuit.

PFD accoutrements
PLB

knife

whistle

car key

pills

I used to also carry my cell phone, radio, camera, light beacon/flashlight, carabiners, and a back-attached Stolquist throw rope bag. I no longer do, ever since a woman on a Sarasota beach seriously asked whether I – thusly tricked out in 18" of urban water – was a suicide bomber come ashore from the Middle East.

I have lots of medical, safety and survival stuff in my day bag that I take on all trips, even day paddles.

I also have a small waterproof pouch with a subset of the medical and safety stuff that I can clip onto my PFD. But I don’t like the angle of the dangle, so I usually just keep that pouch (redundantly) in my day bag.

Thank goodness this thread isn’t about wearing the accoutred thing.

On the pfd…

– Last Updated: Nov-03-13 10:53 AM EST –

The only thing I carry on my pfd is a knife & whistle.
I always carry a throw bag, but it is attatched to one of my canoe's thwarts.
If I was doing whitewater; I'd have 2 locking caribiners, a long piece of nylon/tubular webbing, a couple of prusiks made of climbing utility cord, and at least one rescue pulley.
I always carry a first aid kit in my dump bag, which also carries a complete change of clothers, and a large assortment of "goodies" I feel I might need in an emergency. Most, but not all of the items I carry have been previously listed.

BOB

Candy and a whistle and
most times a camera.

Nothing too exciting
Whistle

Knife

Glow stick (if paddling at night)