What Habits Do You Always Strive to Do When Paddling

Inventory all gear and check for functionality (ie: flashlight in safety kit, extra bat’ies for GPS);
Assemble all gear in one place prior to loading; Tie-down boats myself, as the driver;
Make sure all gear is safely attached to boat unless willing to lose it; always wear PFD;
Check weather and water temps to ensure appropriate clothing (ie: dress for immersion);
Practice “situational awareness” while on the water (conditions?);
If more than same day, draw up and report float plan; copy in vehicle windshield, family, campground or marina authorities; notify when off the water.

Up in the Adirondacks they’ve had a problem with cars being broken into where a float plan was visible in the car with a return time visible.

You might be better off with getting the information to someone that you will contact when you leave and return.

Depends on where the car is left.

I’m pretty bad about float plans. About the only time I write one up is for an organized event. I post a lot on a local message board- meeting time, length of trip, expected duration, and difficulty. That’s about it. Show my paddlin’ buds where my car keys are hidden in case something happens. That’s about it.

Thanks for this, rstevens15. This has always been a worry for me and now you’ve confirmed it. So far no problems, but your suggestion is a good one!

Yeah - I agonize over car keys, too. I sometimes paddle overnight solo and I usually keep them with me - in a waterproof bag, of course. Thx!!

There are public launches in Maine where l might leave a visible float plan.
But for most, l would not on a car w a NY state plate.

1 Like

I try to improve my stroke. I watch the informative videos and read the articles here, then try it out on the water. My next project is getting back in the kayak from the water.

3 Likes

Me too. If I can get two in a row I feel pretty good. The most I’ve ever been able to link together was four. I was having a good day and could have probably linked a couple more but I got so excited by the four that I lost my focus and slipped back into normal mode.

2 Likes

As a senior paddler, I get dehydrated easily when paddling several miles on a hot day. I pack a light snack of cheese and nuts and take a large water bottle partially filled with ice. I always have a bag to pick up garbage I find. I pack my dry bag at night, with my snacks, natural bug repellant, tube of sunscreen, paddling gloves, a waterproof bag for my iPhone, and always have a bungee cord to dock and take in the scenery. With the passenger seat totally reclined, and the back seats folded down, my stubby and stable kayak fits in my Prius. Because my hands are pretty weak, I put part of a large pool noodle along the cockpit edge and carry my small kayak on my shoulder. Paddling against the current going out and with it, when possible, allows me to go a few miles. I always take some time to drift and take in the scenery…

5 Likes

Pam4095, what kayak do you have? I like stable kayaks. My kayak cuts into my shoulder when I carry it. Never thought about a little pool noodle on the coaming.

Cart…

Agree with Celia , use a cart for long hauls. A pool noodle on the cockpit combing works great for short carries. Lots of good uses for pool noodles around kayaking. I keep an in the trunk & often cut it to fit the need. $1.00 at Dollar Tree.

Celia. I hear you. I’ve been going out with someone who uses one. Right or wrong, I’m afraid my next step might be a recliner with a bottle of beer in the right hand and a clicker in the left, as I watch kayak videos. You should see me getting in and out of the spacious Tsunamu cockpit. I’m waiting for a bystander to ask if they can get my walker for me, but when Im.on the water, the dragonflies think my paddle strokes are another dragonfly’s wing (humor).

1 Like

Women often manage to stay in an activity longer than males because we start out understanding the value of tools. Guys somtimes call it a badge of honor to be remarkably less sensible.

5 Likes

My sister is 76. She almost gave up on one of her first trips. She now goes everyplace I go. She powers into 30 inch waves without blinking; I know most people wouldn’t believe her sustained speed. She uses a 140 Tsunami.

On several occasions, we were out during building thunderstorms. If she gets the jump on me, or if I stop for a drink, it’s all over; I once chased her for two miles and she landed about 50 yards ahead of me. She hates lightning.

I’ll use a cart when I can’t carry the boat. I need the exercise.

I’d never leave gear in my vehicle constantly. Way to :fire:

Keep my tobacco dry.
Peace J

1 Like

Go fast. Unfortunately I wish I could slow up a bit. If I go in a group they’re usually slow but I haven’t paddled in a few years with anyone for that reason. Usually 2-2.5 mph average in groups. Slow death.

2 Likes

Give it a few years. Your definition of fast will change.

2 Likes

I completely agree with this, I think men also strain themselves for no reason because we hate ourselves and just like to suffer. /s
Also are you the same Celia from the Hudson River swim crossing?