What Habits Do You Always Strive to Do When Paddling

No - I am competent in the water but that is way beyond my talents.

No it won’t 69 in a month. If I can’t do it I won’t. I’ll get in my Boston Whaler.

1 Like

I don’t hate myself but my mother said I "worked like I was killing snakes " when I was into physical work. I loved to sweat like a horse and make my muscles earn their keep.
That continued well into my working years as a great stress reliever.

Go fast and rock the baby.

I usually paddle solo, so my list is as follows.

-Tell my girlfriend where I’m going, where I plan to paddle, and the time I anticipate being home.
-Pack anything in the apartment that I need to bring (clothing, food, water, VHF radio if going to the coast, flashlight/headlamp, spare batteries, etc.) Pack into drybags and load into vehicle.
-Put straps on J rack, check hatch covers are on correct, load kayak, strap and secure.
-Double check I have everything I need.
-Kiss my girlfriend, go out to vehicle.
-Go back inside because I forgot something (last time I left my keys on the table).
-Kiss girlfriend again, tell her I’m really going this time.
-Get to destination, text girlfriend to tell her I’m putting in the water, again verifying where I am, where I’m going, and when I anticipate returning.
-Unload kayak from vehicle, carry to water’s edge, then bring my gear to the kayak and load it where it needs to be. Put straps on driver’s seat.
-Do some simple stretches for arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs.
-Have fun, checking in with girlfriend occasionally, sending her pictures to make her jealous so she wants to paddle more often.
-Paddle back to where I put in, bring gear to vehicle, bring kayak to vehicle, load everything and secure as needed. Double check I have everything. Text girlfriend letting her know I’m on my way home.
-At home, unload kayak and put it where I store it, bring other stuff inside if it isn’t something that normally stays in my vehicle.
-Clean anything that needs cleaning, hang anything that needs drying.

On days when my girlfriend comes with me, my checking in with her is replaced with us telling a friend or family member when we’re leaving with a plan for where we’re going and then checking in with them when we return.

1 Like

I often use a Greenland paddle and focus on a quiet stroke. Will roll a few times, if water depth will allow, making sure to stretch before hand. Start with full paddle extension roll then normal paddle position and finish with a high brace, each on either side. Will also spend time sculling, using bow rudder and pushing my edging. I also like to have something special to work on for each trip, such as trying for a different roll.

Bring everyone home.
Invite the right kind of people that can get along.
Don’t make the trip too vigorous for the crew.
Have some decent food.
Bring some dogs.
Pursue some activities on shore like hikes to see ruins, forests or flowers.
Take a nap

2 Likes

ppine that sounds lke a really good list

1 Like

Good people, sweet dogs, good food and a nap. Doesn’t get any better than that!

1 Like

Same behaviors I use for hiking and cycling:

1. Am I feeling up to the task? Distracted, run-down, tired > no go
  2. Weather conditions: is it safe now, will it stay that way?
  3. Did I prepare properly? Haste makes waste. Do I have a plan and did I share it with someone? Did I leave enough time to get to the event and back.
  4. Proper gear including gear and food for after the activity
  5. If the activity involves someone else, a pre-brief to make sure we’re on the same page. Frequent check ins during the event and the understanding that choosing to abort is not a sign of failure.
  6. Re-assessment throughout the course of the activity. Things going well > continue. Not going well > head home. This includes cross checking your partner(s): “Hey you don’t look well, I’m pulling the plug on this”
  7. Debriefing at the end. This includes debriefing myself if I’m solo. Make notes
  8. Clean and put away your kit ASAP when you’re home. Don’t leave wet crap lying around in your car.
1 Like

The habit I strive for is paddling. This has not been a good year for it for me.