What is a "whitewater-type" backband?

Is it much different than a non-whitewater backband?

Am looking at this one: https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/rapid-pulse-adjustable-kayak-back-band.html

Thanks.

Whitewater back bands tend to be narrower top to bottom to allow a bit more flexibility, especially when bending back over the rear deck. Most whitewater back bands also have a quick adjustment facility with ratchet mechanisms because there tends to be more getting in and out of the boat in whitewater paddling, and sometimes boat entries occur in awkward locations.

For whitewater, most paddlers just want enough support to prevent them from sliding back off the seat but nothing that will in any way hinder torso flex and rotation. But really, whatever works for you is the important thing.

@Rookie said:

Am looking at this one: https://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/rapid-pulse-adjustable-kayak-back-band.html

I have this backband. I constructed a CLC kayak in 2008 and it was included in the kit. Functionally it is fine. I removed it one season and put in foam backrest I ‘carved’ but I went back to the backband, mainly because I liked having the extra cubic 12" of packing space :wink:
Jeff

Thanks for the info. The CLC product sounds like just the ticket for my boat. Like Paatit, I don’t want to give up the space behind the seat. And I don’t like the backband that came with the boat.

Much appreciated!

Make sure that you properly suspend the back band so that is stays up and in a vertical orientation. Sometimes this takes a bit of experimentation to get it right. It is extremely annoying to get into the kayak while trying to make sure you don’t sit on the back of your spray skirt, and then wind up sitting on the back band and having to fish it out from under your rear end.

Gee, glad to hear I’m not the only one whose backband has tried to turn into a seat.

Current setup initially used a one-inch-wide elastic band, which was too floppy; changed that out to webbing but still not happy with it. The CLC’s bungee should give better control. I hope.

Nice backband, that CLC Pulse. Easy and clean install, using the existing hardware on my seat for the straps. Ran the bungee to keep the backband from flopping forward through a couple of existing holes in the back of my seat. Backband’s small, low, and I hope as comfortable after four or five hours as it was sitting in the cockpit on land. CLC even tossed in four lollipops with my order. :slight_smile: