What is exact difference between a kayak and canoe?

Hi,
We want to choose a water sports for my daughter, she is 8 years old. I want to learn exact differences between a canoe and kayak. Thanks.

Here is a good video what the differences are: https://www.definition.net/define/kayak

In the US as a general rule a canoe is an open boat without enclosing decks, although most have short deck plates at the ends. Canoes are most often paddled from a sitting position or kneeling position. An exception is the Olympic sprint canoe paddled from a high kneeling position. Canoes are typically paddled using single bladed paddles, although some paddle canoes with double bladed paddles.

Kayaks are paddled from a sitting position which is usually considerably lower than the sitting position used by some canoe paddlers. Kayaks are usually decked boats with the decks covering most of the hull except for the cockpit area. Kayaks are usually paddled with double bladed paddles although it is certainly possible to paddle one with a single bladed paddle.

But the lines get sometimes a bit blurred. Sit on top kayaks have become popular, especially among fisherman and these have no decks. There are “pack canoes” which are designed to be paddled from a fairly low sitting position with double bladed paddles. There are also “Rob Roy” type canoes which have long decks that cover much of the hull.

And then there are “C1s” which are used for whitewater recreational paddling and whitewater slalom racing which look much like kayaks with long, enclosing decks but they are paddled from a very low kneeling position with single bladed paddles.

And the blokes across the pond call kayaks canoes.

@string said:
And the blokes across the pond call kayaks canoes.

And canoes 'Canadians"

When my daughter was 8 we built a Pygmy Osprey 13 for her.

Kayaks are still useful upside down. Canoes, not so much.

@Sparky961 said:

I don’t know … Canoes keep the rain off your head when portaging.

@rival51 said:

@Sparky961 said:

Nice one…

@rival51 said:

@Sparky961 said:

Ok, you’ve got me there. I should have been more specific in saying “more useful upside down while floating”, or something to this effect. :slight_smile:

And just to be clear, this isn’t “canoe bashing”, rather just tongue-in-cheek. Both styles of boats have their place.

No worries, I didn’t see it that way.

Actually, those comments were delightful and funny.

A canoe is amazing and awesome, a kayak is not. :wink:

Spoken by someone who’s apprently never paddled a kayak… :stuck_out_tongue:

He has

For me, the exact difference between a canoe and a kayak, is that I do paddle canoes, and I don’t paddle kayaks.

I’ve paddled kayaks. I found them to be too confining, uncomfortable, and a huge hassle when loading or unloading gear for anything more than a day trip.

BOB

@eckilson said:
A canoe is amazing and awesome, a kayak is not. :wink:

From a human perspective, we can be both, or not, depending on the beholder. Got to admit, kayaks do more for me than canoes.

@Sparky961 said:

Watch a kid play with an overturned canoe. It’s a diving board or a surfboard or a kick board

There is no exact delineation between canoe and kayak. Many a beer has been consumed over this most important topic!

(sigh) Yes, I should have known better than to spur on the never ending debate… At least it hasn’t turned into an all-out war … yet. :wink:

@Sparky961 said:
(sigh) Yes, I should have known better than to spur on the never ending debate… At least it hasn’t turned into an all-out war … yet. :wink:

Are there rudders or skegs on canoes?