What is omering?

Please,what is omering?

Thanks,Turtle

Here be a link

– Last Updated: Mar-13-08 11:51 AM EST –

ta give yer an idee... ah'm sure kayamedic kin'a 'splain it better.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=84

Anyone that wants to kneel that low,
unsupported, had better start in childhood and never stop. It’s a cultural skill, growing up like the First Squatters.

L
No no No, its when your wife is doing the dishes and her ring falls into the garbage disposal while its running and she shouts “omering”!!!

Canoeist’s Manual
Named after Omer Stringer, one of a few who popularized the style largely through Canadian summer camps.

Also called classic solo, Canadian style, or simply style paddling.

Bill Mason uses this style in his books/films. Becky Mason has also produced a video on it.

Paddle Canada courses tend to teach it (especially flatwater C)

It works best in a red cedar-canvas canoe, but almost any canoe will be OK.

laughing out loud
Lakewater canoe is Canadian Style…you kneel in the center of the boat in one bilge…boat heeled over…need a nice short paddle, because you are close to the water.

Lakewater 1 and 2 are precision based, not fun based. You get to do stern and bow pinwheels with a stem touching a buoy, paddle straight with less than two degrees of yaw, paddle straight backwards, pivot 360 three times clockwise and counterclockwise within the confines of a hula hoop, do line pivots down a straight course… Its a lot of fiddly paddling to place your boat within one to two inches of a goal. Fun to do,not very fun to watch.

Omering is getting going and anywhere doing static maneuvers that use boat momentum to turn… such as a bow or stern jam or axle (a Duffek like position) or a low brace christie…all strokes are done on the paddle side and the boat can be moved in any direction…Pivots arent constrained by space and can be done to see how fast you can get going with a box or an inner gimbal stroke.

Omer Stringer wanted to play after his toting to the supply depots was done. He used the Canadian Style as a takeoff…Canadian Style was used by Ontario camps in the 1930’s and Omer was later…

An analogy, please . . .
So is this “freestyle paddling” similar or analogous to figure skating competitions in which you put together long and short programs to display your boat control. And are some of these maneuvers “compulsories” or pre-defined moves that are similar to what they used to do years ago in ice skating competitions; ie doing figure eights in perfect form from edge to edge.

I think that in ice skating competitions, they have since done away with them b/c they were so boring to watch from a simple spectators point of view. Each competitor doing the same slow-motion gliding (one push off to generate all the momentum) while drawing figure eights on the ice. Extremely hard to do as a competitor but about as exciting as watching paint dry for the general spectators who could not appreciate how hard it is.

If I am not mistaken, isn’t freestyle canoeing sort of like ballet on calm waters? Or, am I WAY off base?

not exactly
Canadian style, Omering, and Freestyle might be in the same family but are not the same by any means. It would take about ten pages of history to do justice to the evolution of these disciplines and explain the differences, so here’s the short answer. In Freestyle competitions there are no compulsory school figures although that has been a subject of discussion. Currently, they are canoe dances done to music, similar to the dancing part of ice skating comps. It’s fun to do and fun to watch. BTW, the most viewed sport on TV is ice skating. More folks watch it that football, basketball, or baseball.

The real point for me is that practicing Freestyle can make one about as efficient as one can get in a canoe regardless of whether you compete or not. I have become a paddler that I would never have been otherwise due to learning FS.

Pagayeur

When your engagement ring goes …
…into the sinkhole when you have a mouthful of Crest, you scream, “Omering!”

if you are referring to the kneeling
off center so the canoe lists - as shown and described in the picture - it isn’t that hard. My first time in a canoe in about 5 years and I learned how to do it comfortably in about 15 minutes.

you are on the baseline
One of FreeStyles roots is Canadian Style…but in CS you are stationary in the boat. The focus is on the boat…not the paddler. Its probably those goldarn humble Canadians…

Paddling is done all on one side.

Then those brash Yanks said…those tandems are too heavy! Put them in the dryer…make em shorter and lighter. Everyone should have one on the car and paddle everyday…anywhere…even an office pond. So you got a fast accelerating boat that is ready to do something in two strokes. And the Yanks said…whee! Lets show off and paddle to music…and make solo canoeing fun…And then came the cross strokes… FreeStyle is done on both sides (no changing control hands) forward and backwards. Its not all about music and wow costumes…its practical too and makes wilderness tripping a breeze.

And the Canadians said: and why would you want fourteen different small solo boats when we showed you one tandem would do it all…never caught on much up there…

You Tube
You gotta love YouTube if pictures work better for you than words. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4RJAeP7pDI

It doesn’t 'look like an effective style
in the wind.

from my limited experience
which consists of about 2 hours learning the technique on a windy day - it works better than sitting in a canoe or kneeling in the middle.

I can’t explain why, sorry.

Stop it, it hurts
My grin muscles are in agony…that is so funny!

And yet so spot on.

So wonderful, how rich the history of canoeing in North America is.

Too bad that, out west, so much never got here.

Where I live, there are a few diehard river runners, using boats with saddles/straps; there used to be a strong following of marathon canoe racing, now almost gone due to the popularity of outriggers. Too many of the remaining canoeists hold the paddle with the top hand under the grip, switch sides to steer (not hit 'n switch), and yell at their wives in the front seat when the boat doesn’t go straight.

Ten years ago I remember a friend of mine from the midwest sitting mid boat, heeled over, and simply messing about…I promised him I would teach him to roll a kayak if he would teach me what he was doing. I still get stared at, when doing the same.

no good in wind?
I paddled late last year with a Canadian woman that also teaches paddling.

We went out tandem on a super windy day with whitecaps…30-40 mph gusts.

She told me that she would have no problem at all solo…shocked me a bit.

I think she did take a bit of offense at the term Canadian style…I think she preferred the term Traditional style. She was clearly proud of Canada’s canoe heritage and rightfully so.

I also remember test paddling a Mattawa solo and once you have that boat leaned over you just want to keep it there forever - it’s so comfy and happy. Better maneuverability than an Osprey and better stability too!

The technique does not “require”…
…that the boat be heeled as far over as in that video. Videos of Bill Mason paddling in strong wind show the boat heeled only a small amount. You can’t have one gunwale gulping boatloads of water when the waves kick up.

Paddling
Padding with regard to water craft is the act manually propelling of navigating a small boat using a blade that is joined to a shaft,known as paddle, in the water. The paddle is also used to steer the vessel and may either a single bladed or double bladed. Could you please provide links about some of the topics in Paddling and about Water craft rowing?

summer camp