What is the best sunblock?

LOL wkerriganoh !!!

Bullfrog…
Bullfrog has a titanium oxide 45 spf that seems to work well. (Seriously)

I think the titanium oxide is better than the zinc oxide… it’s lighter! (unseriously)

Ironically, it’s the same formula
Saw the Bullfrog for Kids in a store once. When I looked at the label, the ingredients were identical, right down to percentages and everything. So I just use the regular Bullfrog on the whole family. Great stuff, btw.

what is sunblock?

Neutrogena Active
It’s a thick lotion (cream).

I hesitate to say it’s the “best” because that implies I have tried every sunblock ever made.

It is the best I have used that is currently available. Sunblock names and formulas seem to change frequently.

It is waterproof yet breathes better than any other sunblock I’ve used.

Used to be …
… blocks use a chemical to physically block UV … usually zinc or some form of … visable on the skin… like the white paste on a life guard’s nose. “SPF” on a true block would be 100%.

Screens use other chemicals to absorb UV … thay can go on clear… amount of chemical determines “SPF”.

Marketers used to use these terms as above for many years … today I’m not so sure, plus there are new chemicals on the market … more options.

Dip yourself in a vat of wax …
…up to your eyeballs, allow to harden. Then ignite hair with a matchstick.

Bullfrog
My dermatologist recommeds Bullfrog.

gel
Another fan of the Bullfrog Gel here. Sometimes you have to about scrub the stuff off in the shower, it works so well.

Yeah But…
“Bullfrog for Kids” smells so good.

tastes awful

there optical blockers (metallics)
then there’s chemical blockers (avobenzone) (parsol) then there are less efffective chemical blockers. cinnimates then there is stuf that is ineffective at blocking uv a.

metallics do it all

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/HS/Journal/Issues/1997/Jan/clicSubscriber/V74N01/p51.pdf

SUNSCREEN
AS A HARDCORE FISHERMAN LIVING IN THE BAKING TEXAS HEAT,I SWEAR BY BULLFROG.I’VE BEEN USING THE SPRAY THE LAST COUPLE YEARS AS RUB-ONS GET YOUR HANDS GREASY AND THE FISH(AND PADDLES)DON’T LIKE THAT.THEY DO SWEAT OFF NO MATTER WHAT ANY BOTTLE SAYS AND OF COURSE RUB OFF WITH TIME SO YOU MUST REAPPLY PERIODICLY.WHERE A HAT AS YOUR HEAD GETS THE BRUNT OF THE SUN!

This haole likes Bananna Boat 50
Really interested in trying those ‘illegal’ ones though.

Bullfrog & Nutrogena
Been using Bullfrog for several years. Works great. Caveat: I did ruin a pair of (inexpensive) sunglasses with the B-Frog gel. It took some of the coating off when Bullfrog laced sweat dripped down the lenses.

Recently read in Consumer’s Digest that Nutrogena Ultra Sheer was the most highly rated by the U.S. Dermatological organization. I assume their decision was the result of testing and not the result of “politicing”. Been using it about 4 days per week this summer and I like it fine.

Also recently learned that sunblocks expire. A few have expirations dates marked on them. General advice was to buy new stuff every year but I know I have some that’s going on 2-3 years old and it still seems to work fine at preventing sunburn.

Most sunscreens that are a 15 will
prevent sun burn long after the expiration date. But, I’m not sure they are as effective at blocking UV rays.

– Last Updated: Jun-09-06 12:00 PM EST –

If it prevents sunburn, it is blocking UVB at least, which is the "B"urning rays. They do probably become to some degree less effective after a year or so. If they are treated as drugs by the FDA I am surprised we don't get a better indication of when the effectiveness is dropping off. The FDA should care more about skin cancer since it is the most common cancer there is.

Latex friendly products?
Any observations on how these various recommendations interact with latex WRT hastening its deterioration?

Carl

Sunscreen
This question comes up periodically. Everyone’s skin is different and there are a lot of good products out there. If you find one you like stick with it. I have used a lot of different ones that worked well. I have fair skin, blue eyes, and live in South Florida where the sun can be a bit intense, especially on the water. For me the best overall has been Clinique, which is sold in the women’s cosmetic department of any highend department store. I like the kind in the spray pump bottle. It is rated 30, and is a clear, odorless liquid. It leaves no residue, and lasts all day long on the water.

Bill