What is this kayak?

This is for sale locally. The hull shape reminds me of a K1 olympic kayak. I note that it has thigh straps but not only no seat, it lacks the standard location pad eyes to mount a seat. I’m so curious what it is and what it’s about!

Looks a lot like a Cobra Eliminator, though they came with a rudder. They really do need that rudder

The seat is there, just no backrest, which isn’t needed for racing, which this kayak appears to be designed for.

1 Like

Most definitely not the Cobra Eliminator. That boat did not have that style of foot well. Maybe a Cobra Expedition with everything missing(?) Whatever it is it seems like it is a plug and not a real boat. PS - If anyone has an Cobra Eliminator they’d like to sell let me know!

Not a Cobra Expedition, had one of those a few years ago. The shape looks like an old WW down river racer, with the tight straps

2 Likes

It is definitely an odd duck. I’m thoroughly interested in knowing what this thing is. It might be a prototype of something really cool that never happened.

1 Like

I am also leaning towards a prototype. Cobra is a New Zealand company, so America hasn’t seen all they have done.

New Zealand does have an almost rabid fascination with downriver racing, it might be a trainer for that.

That ain’t no “performance” kayak, let alone an Olympic K1.

It is a Prijon Twister, 26” wide!!! Just under 10’ long, IIRC. I bought a used one for $100 many moons ago, like in 2004 or thereabouts. It was described as being a WW SOT. I later sold it for $75.

Mine was the same color.

They do NOT need a rudder. The shape, shortness, and thigh straps plus paddler and blade take care of maneuvering.

3 Likes