What is this metal thing on my new kayak?

@string said:
Thank goodness it wasn’t a gray thing.

:# :# :# :#

@Doggy Paddler said:
Thanks, I’m already really enjoying it! My first non-plastic boat.

So, String & Daggermat, I gotta ask: what’s the reference to the gray thing?

Pammy was Pamlico 140, the “bestest kayak in the world” that this young man took as his moniker. He paddled Horsetooth “resevir” exclusively it seemed, proved his existence with a photo of himself with his Toyota, and had a rough time with those of us whose last zit popped 40 years ago or so. Strangely, or not, he kept coming back for more…more…more. The kid really needed a girlfriend.
The Pamlico 140 was oft expressed as the best all around kayak in the world, but had this mysterious “gray thing” under the deck…and a legend was born.

Maybe it was a resevir shark that snuck into Pammy’s cockpit while he was popping a zit.

Someone still has the “Gray Thing” original thread and it gets posted every few years.
Some of it good, bad, ugly but mostly funny.

@Doggy Paddler said:
Maybe it was a resevir shark that snuck into Pammy’s cockpit while he was popping a zit.

no time for that, as “Horsetooth resevir” has conditions rivaling the Cape of Good Hope, and surpassing the Cape of No Hope, iirc. It’s been awhile, my memory may be a bit off :wink:

Same as 11 Miles reservoir. Gets pretty chilly up there.

@Doggy Paddler said:

It is an “eye strap” also called a “pad eye” in larger sizes. They are used as anchors for things on boats. Sometimes you will find “blocks” (pulleys) , life lines, bungees and other things tied or fastened to them. Sometimes they are used as a fairlead.

Like the others said this is likely a place to lock the boat.

Had it been placed back a bit farther , it could have worked as a faire

lead for a deck tow system.

What’s a henway?

@rnsparky said:
What’s a henway?

Ever seen a chicken fly? They need a good running start.