What is this technique??

I use it almost every time I’m out on the water, but I cant recall the name of this technique. It’s where you turn the paddle the oppisite way so the power face of the blade is working against then plant the paddle in the water while traveling at great speed to slow down and turn as well.

bow rudder?
If you plant the blade in front of you, power face toward the boat then open the angle of the blade so the blade catches some water the boat turns toward the blade side. Is that what you mean?

If so, a few hints: Start the stroke with a sweep on the opposite side to initiate the turn. If you can edge your boat edge away from the turn (i.e. raise the knee on the side of the turn. You don’t have to open the blade angle so much that it really slows you down. Just enough to make the turn without loosing momentum is good unless you really want to stop. You don’t have to plant the blade really far forward like they used to teach – try about at your knee. Torso rotation to get your upper hand out to the side of the boat helps the stroke.

Hope this helps!

yes, thanks.
I’ll try that. I saw somebody doing it like that at a demo once.

hey kid
last I read, you said you would not be back. Good to see you havent left!

Great speed?

– Last Updated: Jan-14-07 1:35 PM EST –

Great speed in a P-140?

In any case, it kind of sounds like a pseudo-Duffek turn.

Phreon

it may be called “bad technique”

– Last Updated: Jan-14-07 10:19 AM EST –

Turning the power face of the blade in the opposite direction sounds cumbersome at best. I can't picture it as being necessary. Never thought to try it.
Keep the paddle stationary in your control hand. If you do reverse stroke just use the backside of the blade. It will work just as good without having to manipulate the blade 180 degrees.

good tech.

– Last Updated: Jan-14-07 11:43 AM EST –

Ever heard of a draw? pulling water to your bow with a power face is an accepted technique in almost every style of paddling I have encountered. You use it in whitewater (canoe and Kayak) as a bow or cross bow draw. My marathon canoe racing buddies use it to turn (a post I think they call it). And I am not sure of the terminology but I know it is used for free-style canoing (dancing).
You are right that it would be awkward to back paddle in such a manner (with the acception of the compound back stroke), but that is because a reverse stroke starts behind you and should end at your hips. When reaching in front of yourself it is much more comfortable to use your powerface than to use the back face, in fact it seams to extend your reach.

Wood

I am sure if you pick up a copy of Path of the Paddle as suggested above you will find a half dozen strokes that have the powerface open to the bow.

I read path of the paddle

– Last Updated: Jan-14-07 12:51 PM EST –

like 20 years ago. Somehow I don't remember ole Bill talking about kayaking with the paddle backwards.
Maybe I misinterpretted " It's where you turn the paddle the oppisite way so the power face of the blade is working against then plant ...."
What chapter was that in? That would require rotating the blade in your hands to regrip in order to "turn the paddle the oppisite way so the power face of the blade is working against then plant" wouldn't it? Anyways I would hardly use that to describe a draw. Maybe your copy of path of the paddle is different than mine.
psMaybe I am just thinking that turning the blade at a slight angle to the boat is not the same as turning it around so as to be backwards. Maybe I am reading into the words too much?

duffek

– Last Updated: Jan-14-07 12:39 PM EST –

It can be done with a single- or double-bladed paddle.

A duffek will give you a very quick, tight, turn if you have some speed, plant your paddle, and then pivot the boat around it.

Yes, the Dufek.
Or open faced bow draw. In WW it is usually linked to a forward stroke to preserve momentum. Some call the combination a Dufek.

I think they use the
technique in slalom.

Yep, your tinking to hard
He did not mean turning the whole paddle backwards, to preform a draw, duffek, post, bow rudder, etc. he is simply reaching forward and bending the wrists back to open the power face to the bow.

Cheak out the pictures in this article:

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?203

It is grossly exaggerated, but at least it demonstrates open and closed positions.

Wood

yep, I use it often
both in whitewater and flat. With a bit of practice, it really helps get you out of trouble from time to time without losing speed. I’m constantly daydreaming while lake paddling, and sometimes a sweep stroke just doesn’t get me out of impending doom quickly enough :slight_smile:

bad advice?
“If you do reverse stroke just use the backside of the blade. It will work just as good without having to manipulate the blade 180 degrees.”

Google “bow draw” and educate yourself before you give out any other bad advice to others.

I’d suggest you can delete your post if you’re embarassed. Or thank those for correcting your wrong advice.

A related stroke’s name after me…
…the Dufus.