What is "too heavy" for a paddle?

That’s why I use a Shuna as my normal paddle on day trips and keep the Cyprus only for multiday trips. The two are not identical but close enough so that when I switched for a trip, any difference in feel didn’t bother me. The lighter weight always felt like a treat.

1 Like

Heavy sometimes good…
Many moons ago I found a Cobra paddle stuck in the Mangroves. After looking for the owner for a long time I put it on EBay. It was the heaviest paddle I had ever seen and had advertised it as a war club. When I advised the eventual buyer he said he was a beginner and paddled rocky streams and it would be perfect.
The shipping was a lot!:open_mouth:

This discussion seems centered around Euro paddles, where the majority of weight is blade oriented. In a Greenland Paddle, the weight is many times located between the hands , in the loom. Amount of perceived weight during paddling is completely different and so would acceptable paddle weight be. Other than impressing your friends when you hand it to them to look at, between the hands weight is more acceptable.

I find that paddles get too heavy somewhere around 30 miles into the paddle. :wink:

1 Like

Not so much if you spread it out over a few days…:wheelchair:

1 Like

Over several days its not a 30 mile paddle.

The loom of a typical cedar GP doesn’t weigh much and the bulk of the weight is in the blades. However, it’s distributed along a much greater length than with a Euro blade and consequently, the “swing weight”. Combined with the natural buoyancy of GPs, it makes them feel considerably lighter in use.

Your correct bnystrom when you talk about one piece wooden Greenland Paddles. I suspect that the line share are still one piece …and wooden.

I was thinking about some that are not available to the public…My Bad