what is your best Kayak Paddle

got rid of Werners and switched to GP
I used to own several Werners: Camano, Shuna, Ikelos, Cyprus and Athena.

Then one day I discovered the Aleut paddle.

There was no turning back.

I sold the Ikelos first (too big for touring), then the Camano. Selling the Athena now and only keeping the Cyprus and Shuna as spare to go on the deck of the kayak because I have not perfected the split GP yet.

I really want a split traditional paddle so I can air travel with it.

As far as Euro style goes, Werners are very nice but the split shaft would wear out too fast on the carbon ones (which Werner promptly replaced under warranty).

In late '09 Werner changed the split shaft and I see now that there is more glass and less carbon in the joint area…

In order:
Homemade shouldered GP (2 of them)

Homemade unshouldered GP (3 of them)

Lightning Offshore EP, unfeathered

Werner Mid-WW, unfeathered

Don’t wanna mess up my GP strokes and bracing, so I never use an EP feathered.

My ONNO mid wing
I haven’t used any of my Epics since I got it several years ago

Cheers,

JackL

Swift
Switched to Swift and would not switch back.

David

Onno -Surf Blade Carbon

Adventure Technology AT2
Simply a beautiful, functional and very well made paddle. A work of art. Flatpick knows his stuff. I haven’t tried the sea version, but probably will one of these days. Go AT!n Ya, i’ve got Lendal and Werner all over the place, a bit of AB and some GP’s and AP’s. Nothing calls like the siren of the AT.

Dogmaticus

AT over Kalliste
I have both an AT and a foam core Kalliste. Both are terrific, but I prefer the AT.

Epic Relaxed Tour, full carbon with
length lock and burgundy shaft. The blade is relatively small and easy on the joints and the burgundy shaft is their flexier version.

Split Greenland Paddle-Gnarlydog
Gnarlydog,

You should contact Roy, fadedred, he makes carbon, split Greenland paddles. They are works of art on their own, just beautiful! I’ve seen his work. Roy showed me a number of paddles he’d made a couple years ago at the Great Lakes Sea Kayak symposium. Hope you don’t mind me giving you a plug Roy.

Paul, (agongos)

personally
I like my old featherlite that i got from wallyworld its so old the outer laminated sections fell off, so now i have a custom Greenland style canoe paddle!!! it’s also great for whacking mailboxes and or clubbing baby seals. What more could you want from a paddle!!!

I have made two pretty decent GPs
so far and working on a third. I am pretty happy with them even though they are far from perfect.

Werner Cypress performance core is my Euro paddle and I like it a great deal along with a Coryvrecken that is fun in the surf.

I would love to have an AT.

and I might as well ask again:

Also still looking around for an old Arctic wind for my collection if anyone has one holding up a wall somewheres.

Paul

paul

Lumpy GP- can be used at any angle

ONNO
with the F.A.S.T. blades, awesome paddle. I even don’t mind the old twist lock length adjustment.

Aqua Bound for river/rock bashing work.

High angle generally, but I find that I change between high/low (and everything in between) depending on how I feel.

Beale Greenland is what i reach
for - it feels like an old friend! Now i must admit i have never tried a Lumpy which i plan to do sometime this year when i figure out what to change for a slightly different paddle.(loom shorter for sure)

For rivers - Bending branches Twilight or Aquabound Stingray - either with carbon shafts.

Favorites…
My favorite touring paddles are:

1. Alan Mapes Greenland (Western red Cedar with white epoxy tips). Custom made for me, it is the paddle I use the most.
  2. Epic Active Tour full-carbon length-lock. The Euro paddle I use the most.
  3. Werner Cyprus straight shaft. The Euro I use when i want a smaller blade than the Epic.