What is your favorite summertime run?

The lower Deerfield is definitely on my list. Flatwater, quick water, and a couple of easy rapids - just enough to make it interested, but not enough that you need to work too hard. The water is clean and the scenery is great.

Approaching the take out

Had a good time there yesterday - few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/sets/72157683061840433

Where do you go on a summer afternoon?

My most often used run is a favorite stretch of water I’ve had since the early '80’s. The Current River from Pulltite to Roundspring. It’s an easy shuttle, and it’s a pretty stretch of water with some nice springs, a cave, a couple of my favored lunch spots. Mink, otters, deer, turkeys, eagles, sometimes the wild horses join us. I’ll be there tomorrow, once again. And since the historic flood, the river channel changed and is now showing off one of the nice bluffs that’s been hidden by trees and brush for about 20 years.

From the first trip I made there; I loved the Buffalo river in Arkansas. I prefer doing multiple overnights/ 100 milers. Staying out of campgrounds and restaurants, and doing gravel bar camping. Preferably with river somewhat higher than normal, and done on weekdays to avoid crowds.

Honorable mention: Natahala river, Bryson City, N.C.
Stay a in secluded campground; occasionally visit restaurant.

;
Make early morning trip &/or late afternoon trip to avoid rafters.
Great way to end the trip; after running the falls, hang out & practice with throwbag.
Plenty of swimmers will appreciate your effort; the ones that really need it are easily recognized.
Did 5 day Intermediate Level 11, whitewater solo class there.
Did Advanced Swiftwater Rescue Instructor refresher course there twice.
Wife did Beginner Whitewater Solo class there.
Wife & I played tourist & took raft trip there twice; followed that on the Ocoee twice, and finished with Section 3 & 4 of the Chattooga in "small raft.
Lots of nice rivers in that area. Summer showers in the afternoon are welcome. Paddling in the fog(low visibility); not so welcome… NOC has great instructors! I love their gear store.
Payson Kennedy is a gentleman & a great conversationalist(& BSer). He met our Rescue course one day on the river; talked with us for over an hour about river running, and took group photos with us. Wanted to hear feedback about everything!

Soloed the Nantahala twice. Got humbled one time at the falls. Portaged back upstream & did it again successfully, to restore a little bit of lost confidence. Had run it on probably 20 occasions in a row w/o issue. Soloing whitewater is definitely different than paddling with 3 or 4 of you buds…

Time, age, injuries, and buds who fell by the wayside have slowed down my whitewater history. I miss it, a lot, but have great memories.

BOB

@thebob.com said:
From the first trip I made there; I loved the Buffalo river in Arkansas. I prefer doing multiple overnights/ 100 milers. Staying out of campgrounds and restaurants, and doing gravel bar camping.

The river around here for gravel bar camping is the Saco on the NH/ME line. Some great gravel bars, but I’ve never done any summer camping there. I hear it gets overrun on weekends. I would like to get up there to camp sometime on a weekday. This was a cold rainy day last fall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/sets/72157674422240701

Honorable mention: Natahala river, Bryson City, N.C. Soloed the Nantahala twice. Got humbled one time at the falls. Portaged back upstream & did it again successfully, to restore a little bit of lost confidence. Had run it on probably 20 occasions in a row w/o issue.

For me, the summer whitewater run is definitely the Dead in ME - 14 miles of whitewater fun. I’ve done few times - with couple of swims. I’d like to get back there this August.

http://eckilson.blogspot.com/search/label/Dead

Grand Falls is amazing…
Grand Falls on the Dead River

I frequently find myself on the Wood River in Rhode Island between the Alton and Woodville dams. This is a slow moving meandering river that retains plenty of water all summer long. While it is far from a wilderness river, it has the feel of one. And, it is only 40 minutes from home.

Having been introduced to the Current River in MO by the kind folks at the Ozark Rendezvous, I certainly agree with Wildernesssweb about that one. Wish it were closer.

Peter

The Middle Youghiogheny River in SW Pennsylvania is my worst summer run. While it’s dam fed and runnable all summer long, it’s Class II rapids are no fun, the scenery is terrible and the water is full of crocodiles. Stay away. :smile:

@pgeorg said:
I frequently find myself on the Wood River in Rhode Island between the Alton and Woodville dams.
Peter

I also remember a nice swimming hole and rope swing along that section. We should get together sometime - didn’t realize we were so close.

@ScottFree said:
The Middle Youghiogheny River in SW Pennsylvania is my worst summer run. While it’s dam fed and runnable all summer long, it’s Class II rapids are no fun, the scenery is terrible and the water is full of crocodiles. Stay away. :smile:

I like your logic!

@eckilson said:
I also remember a nice swimming hole and rope swing along that section. We should get together sometime - didn’t realize we were so close.

Yes, I would be glad to join you on one of the local rivers. You should be warned, though, that I am growing old and slow.

Peter

Back in the day when I lived in FL it was Juniper Run. Now when I do it, it is midweek in early spring or late fall.

Here in SC I like the Enoree River for it’s isolation, wildlife, lack of other boaters, and trees in the water.

A thumbs up for the Natahala River in NC

Living in Florida, summers are kinda warm. Juniper Run is a cool, beautiful shady treat. Blackwater creek in the Seminole Forest is a great destination for escaping the radiant heat of the sun. The upper Ocklawaha and Withlacoochie rivers offer tree cover as well.
Moonlight paddling on the Rainbow river is a good way to beat the heat. New moon paddling on the Mosquito Lagoon and enjoying the bio-luminescence is always a treat! If the sun is too hot, go at night!

@pgeorg said:
I frequently find myself on the Wood River in Rhode Island between the Alton and Woodville dams.
Peter - haven’t done the Wood River yet, but working out way down the Pawcatuck - did Shannock to Richmond last Saturday.

Running Lower Skannock Falls

I’ll be switching to salt water next week as we do our summer vacation that the beach in RI’s South County